Graphic Card Heavy Weights
-
Falam
Graphic Card Heavy Weights
I'd like to know if the Geforce Titan is equal to the Quadro K5000 or is the K5000 a better card, strictly for 3D work ?
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Graphic Card Heavy Weights
I just got a gtx 780, which is slightly slower than a Titan(and $300 less) -- but I got it for Redshift GPU rendering. I wouldn't put too much hope in getting great performance gains in Open GL by a new video card. It's mostly hardware snake oil -- especially Quadro, when you consider how expensive it is.
Anyway, the gtx780 seems to do pretty well with OpenGL, although it doesn't seem much faster than my 580. All high performance video cards will seem great until you start deforming objects. What I'm saying is that video cards are mostly hype.
Anyway, the gtx780 seems to do pretty well with OpenGL, although it doesn't seem much faster than my 580. All high performance video cards will seem great until you start deforming objects. What I'm saying is that video cards are mostly hype.
-
Falam
Re: Graphic Card Heavy Weights
True, the entire graphics card industry is slowly becoming snake oil. Red Shift is a nice render, and it's out of core too, which allows it to expands it's functionality, compared to a few others.adrencg wrote:I just got a gtx 780, which is slightly slower than a Titan(and $300 less) -- but I got it for Redshift GPU rendering. I wouldn't put too much hope in getting great performance gains in Open GL by a new video card. It's mostly hardware snake oil -- especially Quadro, when you consider how expensive it is.
Anyway, the gtx780 seems to do pretty well with OpenGL, although it doesn't seem much faster than my 580. All high performance video cards will seem great until you start deforming objects. What I'm saying is that video cards are mostly hype.
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Graphic Card Heavy Weights
Does anyone use a GTX 690? I'm thinking to purchase a dual set of one of those. Or do you recommend a Quadro, Titan, Tesla, or GTX 780??
-
adrencg
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 04 May 2012, 22:50
Re: Graphic Card Heavy Weights
The 780 is very close to the Titan for a lot less money.
Just don't buy a video card that costs the same as a whole computer. "Workstation cards" may have been important years ago, but they're not worth the extra bucks now with all the regular consumer cards being great.
Just don't buy a video card that costs the same as a whole computer. "Workstation cards" may have been important years ago, but they're not worth the extra bucks now with all the regular consumer cards being great.