Very weird crashes

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Judicator
Posts: 39
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 07:26

Very weird crashes

Post by Judicator » 16 Jul 2013, 07:26

Hey, guys.
I wonder if any of you had this problem before.
Basically I have a scene with imported model (half of magnet), which consists of lots of coils. I think you all know how it looks and how much polygons are involved. I created only half of the magnet, because in later scenes I only need as much.
The model is then duplicated and rotated so I have a full magnet. I use emTopolizer to close holes in the wires (magnet is being sliced in the animation), so the actual geometry is hidden and the ICE copy is shown.
Then the render. The scene was saved before rendering, of course.
As the render goes on - it crashes. Well, I'm used to that already. But the main problem occurs when I reopen the scene. The duplicated part of a magnet is gone!
Well, not totally gone. It's still in the explorer, but it doesn't show in the viewport (even if I remake the ICE tree). When I try to expand my magnet model in explorer - SoftImage freezes. Sometimes it only takes to open explorer itself and a crash occurs.
Any ideas why this happens? I have a deadline and I'm running out of options. Maybe Soft can't handle the geometry? But that wouldn't make sense...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Very weird crashes

Post by Eugen » 16 Jul 2013, 08:06

Why do you have to close any holes after duplicating? You wouldn't see any cross-section polygons of the wire, would you?

Judicator
Posts: 39
Joined: 18 Apr 2013, 07:26

Re: Very weird crashes

Post by Judicator » 16 Jul 2013, 09:10

Eugen wrote:Why do you have to close any holes after duplicating? You wouldn't see any cross-section polygons of the wire, would you?
I would. I need to show it sliced in half.

Eugen
Posts: 331
Joined: 10 Jan 2010, 11:40
Location: Vienna/Austria

Re: Very weird crashes

Post by Eugen » 16 Jul 2013, 09:40

Bug in Topolizer? You could try Cap Holes, or the old capping trick without ICE: extrude the border edges, collapse the extruded edges, delete the spike points.

Did you freeze the modeling stack already?