Cross Product Math in ICE

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Falam

Cross Product Math in ICE

Post by Falam » 01 Jul 2013, 21:34

I have two spheres global position, plugged into a cross product then I set the data in a temp. When I view the position of both sphere (sphereA - 4.5168) x (sphereB - 12.8923) equals 58.2319 but my ICE results are -58.2296. A cross product is suppose to be A x B x (Sin) it doesn't appear ICE calculates the angle (Sin) of the cross product.

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Cross Product Math in ICE

Post by EricTRocks » 01 Jul 2013, 21:46

A few things to check. What object is your ICE tree on? Is it at world zero (hint: It should be)? Did you normalize the position vectors before plugging them into the cross product node?

What are you trying to do with the result?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Cross Product Math in ICE

Post by rray » 01 Jul 2013, 21:49

I'm confused should't a cross product be a vector not a number?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Cross Product Math in ICE

Post by xsisupport » 01 Jul 2013, 21:55

The cross product is a vector.
The magnitude of that vector is |A||B|sin(angle between A and B).
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Falam

Re: Cross Product Math in ICE

Post by Falam » 01 Jul 2013, 23:13

If don't mind, I'd like to see the correct method which you could then expand from.