XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 26 Jun 2013, 15:31

Like the title says. Can anyone confirm this? I noticed that for 2013 too. Very annoying.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by xsisupport » 26 Jun 2013, 15:46

Do all your other preferences retain their non-default values?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 26 Jun 2013, 15:51

xsisupport wrote:Do all your other preferences retain their non-default values?
Hi Steve, all other prefs are retained as I have set them. It doesn't seem to happen every time but 3 of 4 times for sure.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by xsisupport » 27 Jun 2013, 14:04

Hmm, I never saw this problem reported before, so I don't have any special insight.

I guess XSI is either updating your default.xsipref as it crashes (and setting data_management.autosave to False).
Unless after a crash there's something in XSI that decides to ignore that pref setting.

Here's a hack: If you create another pref file with a name like "zautosave.xsipref" that contains this:

data_management
data_management.autosave = True

then XSI.exe should always have the autosave pref set to True.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Jun 2013, 19:26

xsisupport wrote:Hmm, I never saw this problem reported before, so I don't have any special insight.

I guess XSI is either updating your default.xsipref as it crashes (and setting data_management.autosave to False).
Unless after a crash there's something in XSI that decides to ignore that pref setting.

Here's a hack: If you create another pref file with a name like "zautosave.xsipref" that contains this:

data_management
data_management.autosave = True

then XSI.exe should always have the autosave pref set to True.
Thank you! I hope this helps, because even with auto save on, it isn't guaranteed, that xsi actually saves. I just had a crash, and I knew autosave was on but the autosave file was present. This seems to be symptomatic: crashes announce themselves by stopping the autosave to work.
Also Crashsaves are not loaded automatically on scene start, even when XSI reported it was successfully saved. The whole Crash recovery system is a mere shadow of what it was once.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 07 Jul 2013, 13:07

Actually, it didn't really help. I'm not even sure anymore if this issue is related to crashes. At least once a day when I check, the Autosave is off for no reason.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by xsisupport » 07 Jul 2013, 16:59

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Actually, it didn't really help. I'm not even sure anymore if this issue is related to crashes. At least once a day when I check, the Autosave is off for no reason.
Maybe it is some weird thing like this
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: XSI defaults to "Autosave off" after crashes

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 08 Jul 2013, 13:41

xsisupport wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Actually, it didn't really help. I'm not even sure anymore if this issue is related to crashes. At least once a day when I check, the Autosave is off for no reason.
Maybe it is some weird thing like this
Hm, equally mysterious. "Weird" it is, that is true. I'm already beginning to suspect some kind of Tyler Durden Syndrome... ;)
Now when I come to think of it, if that was true, maybe I could do twice as much jobs ! I'm rich! ... or crazy.... muahahahahaha....
I'm now part of an endangered species...