Hi guys.
Is there a way in xsi to have a texture be mapped using different projection on different polys within 1 object and 1 material?
Like for example if i need the border polys to have a horizontally mapped texture and inside polys to have the same texture & material but applied vertically?
If im going for clusters i end up with 2 separate materials, which is a pain.
mapping question
-
grahamef
- Posts: 281
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01
-
t0ol
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 20:24
Re: mapping question
Yeeah that would probably do the job.. partially.
One problem though - in my example im using 2 sets of polys. When i do two box subprojections i get 2 texture supports sized to my selections. Is there a way to make the projections identical in size? Match transforms dont work since whey`re both scaled 1 1 1 initially...
Im migrating from max and am basically looking for a workflow similair to: select polys in edit poly -> box map -> set box size \ rotate..
Other than that i`m missing a couple of features from max, namely the align tool, array tool, geometry xray..... symmetry.. splines.. I havent found those as scripts\addons but maybe there is something similair?
After playing with xsi for a few month i feel like i really cant go back )
One problem though - in my example im using 2 sets of polys. When i do two box subprojections i get 2 texture supports sized to my selections. Is there a way to make the projections identical in size? Match transforms dont work since whey`re both scaled 1 1 1 initially...
Im migrating from max and am basically looking for a workflow similair to: select polys in edit poly -> box map -> set box size \ rotate..
Other than that i`m missing a couple of features from max, namely the align tool, array tool, geometry xray..... symmetry.. splines.. I havent found those as scripts\addons but maybe there is something similair?
After playing with xsi for a few month i feel like i really cant go back )
-
t0ol
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 20:24
Re: mapping question
Let me try one more time, as this is pretty crucial to me...
Is there a way in XSI to apply two cubic projections exactaly the same size onto different parts of a single object? By default they are fitting the selection, which I`d like to change.
Thanks.
Is there a way in XSI to apply two cubic projections exactaly the same size onto different parts of a single object? By default they are fitting the selection, which I`d like to change.
Thanks.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: mapping question
Can't try it now but could you make 2 projections and then copy/paste uvs between them for the selected polygons?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
t0ol
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 20:24
Re: mapping question
Nope, copy/paste doesnt work.. stretches everything.
A long workaround that I`ve found is to 1) apply subprojections using "object aligned", which gives me two identical projections, 2) scale the first as needed 3) rotate & scale the second trying to match the first one by eyeballing 4) move them as needed.
Too bad I cant seem to change the pivot of the projection and snap it.. Although the whole solution is still quite tricky and time consuming..
I`m sure there is some easier way to do this.. Let me throw in a quick example of what I`m after, see attachment, hope thats more or less self-explaining.. texture should be going vertically on left\right\middle polys, and horizontally on the top\bottom ones, being equally scaled on all planes... In max the process is as shown - select polys, apply a UV map, set its size (highlighted), rotate/blabla, rince and repeat for other parts.
How would you approach this in XSI guys, without spending too much time on UV pulling, or full unwrapping is the only option?
A long workaround that I`ve found is to 1) apply subprojections using "object aligned", which gives me two identical projections, 2) scale the first as needed 3) rotate & scale the second trying to match the first one by eyeballing 4) move them as needed.
Too bad I cant seem to change the pivot of the projection and snap it.. Although the whole solution is still quite tricky and time consuming..
I`m sure there is some easier way to do this.. Let me throw in a quick example of what I`m after, see attachment, hope thats more or less self-explaining.. texture should be going vertically on left\right\middle polys, and horizontally on the top\bottom ones, being equally scaled on all planes... In max the process is as shown - select polys, apply a UV map, set its size (highlighted), rotate/blabla, rince and repeat for other parts.
How would you approach this in XSI guys, without spending too much time on UV pulling, or full unwrapping is the only option?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
aio
- Posts: 36
- Joined: 23 Oct 2012, 00:12
Re: mapping question
sorry i'm not in front of softimage so terminology may differ
maybe try >empty projection
-> connect to support projection?
maybe try >empty projection
-> connect to support projection?
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: mapping question
I would......... using the same texture, make two UV projections, and assign each to a cluster.
I would assign the two sections of Poly's into clusters first (ctrl+L) and then in the Render tree, select each cluster and reassign the UV projection according to your cluster needs (after having made your two UV projection sets) in the material properties.
Another way (if the above didn't work?) would be to make the cluster's material a copy and then reassign the UV on the second material and cluster.
To rotate the same UV, you can repeat the first UV creation process as a new UV projection, then rotate it, and then in the Material Manager, assign the UV's accordingly to the cluster.
Makes sense? This method is not tested, but I think that would work.
I would assign the two sections of Poly's into clusters first (ctrl+L) and then in the Render tree, select each cluster and reassign the UV projection according to your cluster needs (after having made your two UV projection sets) in the material properties.
Another way (if the above didn't work?) would be to make the cluster's material a copy and then reassign the UV on the second material and cluster.
To rotate the same UV, you can repeat the first UV creation process as a new UV projection, then rotate it, and then in the Material Manager, assign the UV's accordingly to the cluster.
Makes sense? This method is not tested, but I think that would work.
-
t0ol
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 20:24
Re: mapping question
Yeah, that works fine, but leave me with 2x materials, which is a bit hard to manage.. But looks clusters is the best way in softimage.. Pity.Draise wrote:I would......... using the same texture, make two UV projections, and assign each to a cluster.
I would assign the two sections of Poly's into clusters first (ctrl+L) and then in the Render tree, select each cluster and reassign the UV projection according to your cluster needs (after having made your two UV projection sets) in the material properties.
Another way (if the above didn't work?) would be to make the cluster's material a copy and then reassign the UV on the second material and cluster.
To rotate the same UV, you can repeat the first UV creation process as a new UV projection, then rotate it, and then in the Material Manager, assign the UV's accordingly to the cluster.
Makes sense? This method is not tested, but I think that would work.
Unless Im missing something and you can assign a projection to a cluster itself, within 1 material. I mean I can have the projections, but in render tree in the image node i can select only one of them.
Actually I`m getting used to two subprojections with "fit to image" turned on.. Game`s on. Thanks ppl.