Softimage and tablet
-
Grubber
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Softimage and tablet
Hi guys.
Does anyone use a tablet with Softimage? If so, what settings is optimal?
I have Wacom Intuos 3 and I am getting some delays then trying to move vertices or other components in Softimage. Which is very annoying. Anyone know where is the problem?
By the way I am using Softimage 2014 on Windows 8.
Cheers.
Does anyone use a tablet with Softimage? If so, what settings is optimal?
I have Wacom Intuos 3 and I am getting some delays then trying to move vertices or other components in Softimage. Which is very annoying. Anyone know where is the problem?
By the way I am using Softimage 2014 on Windows 8.
Cheers.
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
-
Grubber
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Re: Softimage and tablet
Thanks for the links. I have tried those before with no success.
It seems to me that the problem is in Softimage, as there is no such behavior for example in Maya or Blender.
It seems to me that the problem is in Softimage, as there is no such behavior for example in Maya or Blender.
-
Falam
Re: Softimage and tablet
Thanks for the link origin, see if I can dig out something I didn't know ;)
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Softimage and tablet
Those links doesnt give you solution but as this guy wrote, you CANT DISABLE dynamic pen feedback and press and hold in windoze 8Grubber wrote:Thanks for the links. I have tried those before with no success.
It seems to me that the problem is in Softimage, as there is no such behavior for example in Maya or Blender.
Some apps like photoshop have workaround this problem, but the rings of windows lameness (which is responsible for a delay) occur across most applications/windows itself
If you don't use mouse I advise to revert to windows 7
-
Grubber
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Re: Softimage and tablet
Thanks for the help.
Meanwhile I managed to solve the problem partially.
I added environment variable XSI_ENABLE_WINTAB_SUPPORT with value 0 and this removes pressure sensitivity in Softimage, as well as delays while moving components. That is fine for me. But it is not good for painting weight maps or envelopes. Maybe there is a way to toggle the variable value to 1 and back to 0 within Softimage?
Meanwhile I managed to solve the problem partially.
I added environment variable XSI_ENABLE_WINTAB_SUPPORT with value 0 and this removes pressure sensitivity in Softimage, as well as delays while moving components. That is fine for me. But it is not good for painting weight maps or envelopes. Maybe there is a way to toggle the variable value to 1 and back to 0 within Softimage?
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Softimage and tablet
I use a Bamboo tablet by Wacom, but to help get rid of the annoying ring select delay (windows 8 and 7), I switch the tablet to Mouse mode, instead of Pen mode, when working directly in most of my 3D software; then when I need the pressure, I turn it back to Pen mode, and vice versa. You can program a tablet button as a toggle (using the wacom driver software?) You won't need to edit the registry for the toggle.
-
myara
- Posts: 406
- Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33
Re: Softimage and tablet
http://xsisupport.com/2011/03/11/softimage-blog-%C2%BB-work-around-to-problems-with-tablets-and-softimage/
Sadly, the link is broken.
Here the original text:
Sadly, the link is broken.
Here the original text:
There is a strange user interface lag that affects Softimage XSI when you use a Wacom tablet. With heavy scenes or simulation, you may never be able to stop playback. Other users have reported problems with the render region.
The best work-around is to disable tablet support in Softimage (any version). This will not affect any other program.
To do this, start a “Command Prompt” using the link in the Autodesk Softimage Start menu group. If you are running under Vista or Windows 7, it’s best to run it as an administrator.
A command prompt will will start in the ‘bin’ directory of the application. Type this command:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Softimage 2011\Application\bin> copy xsi.bat wintab32.dll
And re-launch the Softimage. You should now be fine.
The only place Softimage uses the tablet is for pen pressure in Weight Painting and in the compositor, and it doesn’t work very well anyway. To restore tablet support, simply delete wintab32.dll from the bin directory from that command prompt.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
-
j3st3r
- Posts: 121
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 07:13
Re: Softimage and tablet
I'm on Win7 and SI2014SP1 and Wacom Intuos 5. No delay. I can't imagine working with mouse anymore, I am alot faster with pen. I turned off (Win7) all pen features, disabled the service that deals with this, and I used some third party app to switch off the ring feedback too (but It was rather annoying than slow)
I use only Wacom service and the latest driver too
I use only Wacom service and the latest driver too
-
IslandDreamer
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 17:57
Re: Softimage and tablet
I've been playing with Softimage on the Surface Pro, specifically for painting weight maps, but what do you guys do for functions that require the middle mouse button?
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Softimage and tablet
it's probably broken because it's a useless since 5 years ago when tablet pressure was disabled by default in Softimage.myara wrote:http://xsisupport.com/2011/03/11/softimage-blog-%C2%BB-work-around-to-problems-with-tablets-and-softimage/
Sadly, the link is broken.
I wrote that text. doing that does absolutely nothing anymore
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Softimage and tablet
Mapped it to pen button (upper), right click to pen button (lower). And adapted this sort of technique where I use indexfinger and thumb alternately to press the upper button. It's not ideal, I would prefer to be able to remap all MMB functions to something like alt+LMB but SI doesn't allow that kind of customization, alas.IslandDreamer wrote:I've been playing with Softimage on the Surface Pro, specifically for painting weight maps, but what do you guys do for functions that require the middle mouse button?
[edit] Oh wait, that's for Intuous, I don't know if Surface Pro works like that.
-
IslandDreamer
- Posts: 58
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 17:57
Re: Softimage and tablet
Unfortunately the Surface Pro pen has only one mouse button and the replacement Wacom pen I use has a button that is flush with the stylus and thus pretty useless. http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2013/6 ... urface-prodruitre wrote:Mapped it to pen button (upper), right click to pen button (lower). And adapted this sort of technique where I use indexfinger and thumb alternately to press the upper button. It's not ideal, I would prefer to be able to remap all MMB functions to something like alt+LMB but SI doesn't allow that kind of customization, alas.IslandDreamer wrote:I've been playing with Softimage on the Surface Pro, specifically for painting weight maps, but what do you guys do for functions that require the middle mouse button?
[edit] Oh wait, that's for Intuous, I don't know if Surface Pro works like that.
-
myara
- Posts: 406
- Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33
Re: Softimage and tablet
Oh, I didn't know it was disabled by default now. Good to know.luceric wrote:it's probably broken because it's a useless since 5 years ago when tablet pressure was disabled by default in Softimage.
I wrote that text. doing that does absolutely nothing anymore
I'm still stuck with 2011 in my current project and the pressure workaround did help, thanks.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
-
Falam
Re: Softimage and tablet
Question. Was the problem, Softimage was loading, then crashing ? I'm experiencing this issue, Softimage loads, then immediately crashes !
-
myara
- Posts: 406
- Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33
Re: Softimage and tablet
are you using a geforce? if so it seems that the newest drivers have some problems. Try these drivers and disable or uninstall nvidia auto update.
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/sy ... 192&hw=291
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/sy ... 192&hw=291
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)