Any infos on "reference frames"

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Any infos on "reference frames"

Post by Pancho » 14 Jun 2013, 11:57

I've come across several guides, tutorial and examples using (point) reference frames. So far I couldn't find any decent info. How do they work, how are they set up and what's their advantage?

Thanks for any help!
Pancho

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Any infos on "reference frames"

Post by Pooby » 14 Jun 2013, 12:57

they represent the axis of that point on the surface, so can be used for rotations.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Any infos on "reference frames"

Post by Pancho » 14 Jun 2013, 13:17

The point normal at frame 0? Or do I need to set the refernce manually (pointNormal > set reference frame)?

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Any infos on "reference frames"

Post by Pooby » 14 Jun 2013, 13:28

No its nothing to do with the normal. Its an axis that ICE assigns. Its not a reference to any frame or anything like that.
I think its an odd name come to think of it.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2013/en_us/userguide/index.html

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Any infos on "reference frames"

Post by Pancho » 14 Jun 2013, 13:52

Thanks so much! Finally stumbled across a post on the google groups by Guillaume which also shed some light on it. Well, as you said. Its name is well off and misleading.

Cheers!