Check cross-section (while modeling)

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Check cross-section (while modeling)

Post by Pancho » 12 Jun 2013, 13:20

I just wondered if there is a way to check cross sections of a model. Something like an interactive boolean. If for instance you model something like a neck or head and you want to compare your work to medical coss sections (e.g. MRT) it would be nice to see something like a slice of your model at the same location.

I could think of a very slow method of putting a grid into this area and get distances from the mesh to the model. This data could get transferred to another grid outside the model for inspection. This ICE tree would be quite simple, but everything depends of the resolution of the grid, making this thing very slow and pixeled.

I'd like to think of a way to use a null and what's inside of the null is visible, what's outside is not. If there would be a clone of the model, you could model and check cross-sections at the same time.

Anybody an idea?

Toonafish
Posts: 24
Joined: 04 Nov 2011, 09:05

Re: Check cross-section (while modeling)

Post by Toonafish » 20 Jun 2013, 08:31


Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Check cross-section (while modeling)

Post by Pancho » 20 Jun 2013, 11:37

That looks interesting. Combining two of those and I'm there.

Thanks!