Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by NNois » 09 Jun 2013, 21:41

Hi community,
So... today to share a fcurve profile, i had to build an array of this profile and do some tricky tricks to filter my data with this.
Do someone has a better technique ?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by Bullit » 09 Jun 2013, 22:39

An F-curve can't be put in a compound?

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Jun 2013, 08:00

Bullit wrote:An F-curve can't be put in a compound?
Of course it can. But it's different than, for example, 'add' or 'multiply' node, because operation is 'built in'.
So, 'build array' of inputs before, 'select in array' after the node, I think that's all.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by NNois » 10 Jun 2013, 17:03

well, select in array is easy, but for strands it gets complicated, i've tried the generate sample set technique to avoid the repeat node but with no success...I don't even know if it is possible ;-) will re-try the next time i need it.

thanks

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by Pooby » 11 Jun 2013, 09:04

Can you explain really simply what you want to do? I cant understand the problem

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Jun 2013, 10:25

NNois wrote:well, select in array is easy, but for strands it gets complicated, i've tried the generate sample set technique to avoid the repeat node but with no success...I don't even know if it is possible ;-) will re-try the next time i need it.

thanks
what kind of strands. If you're able to know 'in advance' how strands are distributed, there's trick to define the array of scalars first, save it as attribute, then use it in compound later, modulated by fCurve or something else - or well known "strand ratio", introduced in early tuts by Helge Mathe.
If strand array is generated by simulation, as particle trail or like, then... I don't know for (feasible) way of sharing.

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Fcurve Share in an ice tree

Post by NNois » 12 Jun 2013, 23:48

Pooby wrote:Can you explain really simply what you want to do? I cant understand the problem
Hi,

I actually wanted to simplify my ice trees...
I had, in different objects some fcurves nodes with the same curve, controling strands by their strandratio and just wanted to tweak all at the same time, so building an array of scalars.

It was just curiosity about how doing things...
The problem I was facing was modulating my strands by this "fcurve array" but they had different array size (different strand count).
So I was thinking i needed to resample my "fcurve array" to match my strand count but i haven't figured out how to do that...
Or, finding in that array but it involve a loop, or the generate sample set technique i've also haven't figured out how to make it work.

But, please excuse me for the noise (and my crappy english), i don't need this right now. I've managed it the old way ;-)