... and I see no change from my old 8600 GT. I fired up Softimage and Modo and with fairly low amount of geometry but a few 4K textures, they are sluggish in textured decal (Softimage) or Advanced OpenGL (Modo) mode. I have set the maximum texture display resolution to 512K, so bigass textures should not give too much trouble. Haven't tasted Mudbox yet, but not expecting a drastic improvement there either.
As the stats tell me, the change has been drastic. From 450 to 750 MHz core clock. From 650 to 1300 MHz memory clock. From 128 to 256 bit bus. from 256 MB DDR2 to 1 GB gDDR3. But not much visible improvement. How come?
Needless to mention, the drivers are up-to-date. The Windows is freshly installed and does not have lame stuff like transformation packs. It is Xp x64. The system is not burdened with a thousand softwares. I do not think it matters, but my HDD is Western Digital Green. The Antec power supply is state of the art, so no doubts there.
So, where is the wow stuff?
I could have better Radeons at lower rates. I went with GeForce because everybody says Radeon has issues and low FPS problem with Autodesk products. But now I am getting ~4.5 FPS with just a medium poly car with textures on it.
Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
You won't see much diffrence in softimage/max/maya/.. between 8xxx vs gtx 2xx series. It can even get worse. Raw power is limited to games.
On other hand mudbox here got a huge boost (i upgraded 8800 gts->gtx 285) but It can be related to memory (385 vs 1gb) on theses cards.
On other hand mudbox here got a huge boost (i upgraded 8800 gts->gtx 285) but It can be related to memory (385 vs 1gb) on theses cards.
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
Haven't tried Mudbox yet. I do not use it very often.
I heard of certain modding techniques that makes a GeForce appear like Quadro.
Any insight on that?
I heard of certain modding techniques that makes a GeForce appear like Quadro.
Any insight on that?
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
You hear quite differing stories about the so called soft-modding Geforces into Quadros...
You would have to ask yourself if it's really worth the trouble...
I personally wouldn't recommend it, but then again, I am a "happy" Quadro owner...

You would have to ask yourself if it's really worth the trouble...
I personally wouldn't recommend it, but then again, I am a "happy" Quadro owner...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
shushens
- Posts: 192
- Joined: 13 Jun 2009, 05:34
- Skype: shushens
- Location: Paderborn, Germany
Re: Got a GeForce GTS 250 and ...
Hehehe, good for you...
I wish grass was a little bit greener in this part of the world
Thanks for the responses. You guys are great as always!
I wish grass was a little bit greener in this part of the world
Thanks for the responses. You guys are great as always!
My ill-maintained blog: http://visualdeceptions.info/blogger