3D Coat v4 released

News concerning 3D DCC business
User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

3D Coat v4 released

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 May 2013, 08:20


Here is the list of 3D-Coat V4 key features:

- Live Clay released! We are glad to finally release long-awaited "dynamic tessellation" Live Clay sculpting tools. With Live Clay you won't bother anymore about resolution of your entire object, as now you'll have desired level of details only where you need it!
- Interface revised! New style. New Iconic look. New Start Dialog. New shaders preview, and more.
- Speed increased everywhere 3 to 10x. This is mostly related to Win version, Mac and Linux versions got speedup too, but Win version speedup is especially impressive!
- Painting emissive and colored specular introduced
- Painting over voxels/vertex painting introduced
- Possibility to retopo big meshes 10-50M and more
- Dozens of new tools and options
- New Spline drawing mode
- Major update of texture baking functions
- High-speed boolean operations in surface mode, hardsurface modeling with sharp edges
- Special tools for Product/Prototype modeling
- Overall speed, quality, and stability improved!
- Scripting via "C++ like" – Angelscript
Buy Full Professional V4 for $349 and Upgrade to V4 for 84$*! This is a time-limited offer ending on July 1, 2013, with the prices to be increased afterward.
(Both quotes from a promotional email)

Read all about it here
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
McNistor
Posts: 605
Joined: 06 Aug 2009, 15:26

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by McNistor » 30 May 2013, 12:56

Feature wise it looks great, but I'm very curious about its performance with huge poly count models and/or huge textures.
I'm too lazy to see if they have a trial or not, let alone actually install it so other people experiences will have to do this time.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

User avatar
ace63
Posts: 176
Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by ace63 » 30 May 2013, 13:54

I've owned a license from the beginning of V3 and giving up on working with it.
Texturing performance is below horrible (filling a layer with a color takes about 3-5 minutes on an 8k map) and the workflow is very convoluted.

Paulrus
Posts: 67
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Paulrus » 30 May 2013, 14:26

I've owned a licence since it was called 3D Brush. My opinion is, it's the best value for the money.

The UV tools are excellent. The retopology tools are amazing. Sculpting with voxels is great and Live Clay is a great addition.

Painting is good, but could be better. One quick time while painting - hit CTRL-P and it sends you textures over to Photoshop. I typically rough-in my textures in 3D Coat, then jump back and forth between 3DC and Photoshop.

The interface still could be improved, but it's come a long way. I think the fact that Andrew (the main programmer) is Russian explains a lot with the workflow. I think he simply doesn't have a "Western" sensibility about how interfaces should flow. He's tried to fix that by having a LOT of context-based help, but even that suffers from poor/convoluted translations.

However, there are plenty of videos out there that'll get you up and running.

It's certainly worth a look if you're looking at tools like Mudbox & ZBrush.

-Paul

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Bullit » 30 May 2013, 21:13

How is retopology for boxed stuff?

Falam

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Falam » 31 May 2013, 02:58

Looks Impressive, what isn't impressive is the extensive use of the word "Uber" we get it people, it is used enough, time to move on. Besides most of the time people throw it into sentences and it makes no sense, I've seen it to many times.

Paulrus
Posts: 67
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Paulrus » 31 May 2013, 10:42

Where do you see "uber" being used in the 3D-Coat interface?

Falam

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Falam » 31 May 2013, 10:53

Paulrus wrote:Where do you see "uber" being used in the 3D-Coat interface?
I never said the 3D-coat interface, I meant the extensive use of the word. Look at the screen shot in the post, you'll see the word, "Uber HD detail". In other words, "Above/Over/Across HD detail" the only word you could use maybe to describe what is described in the tutorial is the word "above" out of the three words "uber" means in English. I've seen the word used in worse cases then that, for example "Uber Amazing" your saying "Above Amazing" or "Over Amazing" or "Across Amazing" if your English is strong, you wouldn't speak that in a sentence, "you are over amazing", you can argue with me, that you can say "over amazing", but you are already "amazing" how can you be "over", amazing. I don't want to go into a grammer, speaking debate this thread is about 3D Coat. Just something many should consider when writing :)

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Mathaeus » 31 May 2013, 12:02

Paulrus wrote:
The interface still could be improved, but it's come a long way. I think the fact that Andrew (the main programmer) is Russian explains a lot with the workflow. I think he simply doesn't have a "Western" sensibility about how interfaces should flow. He's tried to fix that by having a LOT of context-based help, but even that suffers from poor/convoluted translations.
Should not be easier to just express your personal taste, instead of going into "theories", based on nationality of author. This is international forum, what if everyone start in this way.... By the way , mr Sphagin lives in Kiev, which is capitol of Ukraina.

Just personally, for these few occasional uses, about 5-6 times in year, I found 3d-Coat much easier to jump in immediately, than Zbrush or Modo. For last two, my brain needs about half of day for adaptation. While 3d Coat have some strong logic, not so hard to decipher.

I think docs already are translated to readable English. New "Live clay" thing is dynamic tessellation, well known from Blender ( and some zBrush related app, too, forgot the name..),
From first tests, it looks fast, together with a lot of options.

Falam

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Falam » 31 May 2013, 12:23

Mathaeus wrote:
Paulrus wrote:
The interface still could be improved, but it's come a long way. I think the fact that Andrew (the main programmer) is Russian explains a lot with the workflow. I think he simply doesn't have a "Western" sensibility about how interfaces should flow. He's tried to fix that by having a LOT of context-based help, but even that suffers from poor/convoluted translations.
Should not be easier to just express your personal taste, instead of going into "theories", based on nationality of author. This is international forum, what if everyone start in this way.... By the way , mr Sphagin lives in Kiev, which is capitol of Ukraina.

Just personally, for these few occasional uses, about 5-6 times in year, I found 3d-Coat much easier to jump in immediately, than Zbrush or Modo. For last two, my brain needs about half of day for adaptation. While 3d Coat have some strong logic, not so hard to decipher.

I think docs already are translated to readable English. New "Live clay" thing is dynamic tessellation, well known from Blender ( and some zBrush related app, too, forgot the name..),
From first tests, it looks fast, together with a lot of options.
The fact that he made 3D Coat by himself, at what age did he start 3D Coat ?

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: 3D Coat v4 released

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Jun 2013, 10:38

Well, I got myself the upgrade and am actually quite pleased with the software (and with myself for upgrading it). I had stopped following the ongoing open beta a while back, so I am surprised at some of the new stuff Andrew implemented. And the upgrade pricing policy is one I would secretly (and quite vainly so) hope Autodesk were to adopt, especially in light of the openness of the ongoing open beta. Kudos to Andrew also for helping me out with a little licensing woe...
;)

PS As for the UI, it's not the nicest UI I have ever seen, but it still way better that for instance the UI horror Blender has on offer IMHO.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!