TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Links and discussions concerning tutorials
alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 22 May 2013, 23:13

Hey folks, I'm Alan Fregtman. You may know my name from the Soft mailing list, if not, hello! :) My partner and friend Miquel Campos & I have started a small educational endeavour focused on TD-oriented Softimage material. We called it "TD Survival". In essence, we want to show you how and why Softimage is awesome! :D

Over the past month or so we've been posting varying amounts of new material every week that we believe is useful (and hopefully engaging or fun to listen to, also.)

I started a separate thread for the ICE-specific tutorials here:
https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... =41&t=3867
but below are the non-ICE videos produced so far:















I will make an effort to keep appending to this thread as new material comes out. (I know you'd probably want to slap me around with a wild trout if I were to put up a thread per individual video, so there. lol)

To stay updated with the very freshest news, you can like us on Facebook. Tell your friends. ;)

alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 23 May 2013, 23:56


alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 13 Jun 2013, 01:43

A Look Inside Gear (parts 1 & 2)



alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 17 Jun 2013, 04:14


User avatar
Grims
Posts: 60
Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 14:57
Location: Portugal

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by Grims » 20 Jun 2013, 15:16

Hello there!

Thank you very much for creating this video tutorial series! I think that they are very useful!

Is there any plans for a Tips & Tricks episode about UV Mapping?



Thank you for your attention!
The Future is Gloomy!

alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 20 Jun 2013, 17:14

Grims wrote:Hello there!
Thank you very much for creating this video tutorial series! I think that they are very useful!

Is there any plans for a Tips & Tricks episode about UV Mapping?
First of all, thank you for the praise. Glad you're learning from and enjoying our videos. :)

With that said, Miquel & I specialize in rigging, ICE and scripting. Off the top of my head I don't have any great tips to say about the UV editor. The only one I can think of is blending between two sets of UVs in the same projection using some basic ICE nodes. Might record that one. I did it once when I had a character whose arm morphed to a hammer and the team wanted the UVs to stay roughly the same while it was transitioning. Does that sound interesting? I suppose you could also turbulize UVs for fun, but I don't see much use in that.

User avatar
Grims
Posts: 60
Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 14:57
Location: Portugal

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by Grims » 21 Jun 2013, 13:06

That morphed arm example sounds very cool indeed! I think that would make a really nice episode! :-bd
The Future is Gloomy!

User avatar
diissar
Posts: 37
Joined: 08 Nov 2011, 23:17

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by diissar » 22 Jun 2013, 12:46

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for your very informative and enjoyable tutorials :)
may I suggest some topics for future videos:
-Tips on creating synoptic view and assign it to a character with a hotkey.
-Introduction to softimage SDK (how to customize interface,add tools to menus ,simple stuff)
-Tips on adding Syflex to a character(not that much infos about it).

thanks again

all the best!

Jho
Posts: 49
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 06:57

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by Jho » 13 Aug 2013, 07:59

Great videos guys, thanks a lot!

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by Rork » 13 Aug 2013, 08:10

Keep 'm coming guys!!!

Much appreciated! :-bd
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by Bullit » 16 Aug 2013, 12:42

Another nice one


alanf
Posts: 22
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 18:22

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by alanf » 16 Aug 2013, 17:52

More videos:







forton
Posts: 210
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57

Re: TD Survival - Tips & Tricks tutorial series

Post by forton » 16 Aug 2013, 22:13

Balloons...
Best tutorial ever!

Thanks