How to Create a Fitting Casing

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

How to Create a Fitting Casing

Post by Frank1000 » 14 May 2013, 15:32

Hi,
I was wondering how I could create a fitting casing around a complex object. I want to add a dimensional skin to an object and copying / scaling wouldn't work on this object. Like if I had a hand and want to make a glass hull around it or such ...
Is there a technique in SI how this can be achieved on a bit complex geometry ? I tried Apply-Thickness, Offset Ploygons, Extrude Polygons Along Normal, but none gave me a good enough results yet.
I need something like growing or shrinking the object with some or none distance to source object, by generating the right seams and connections between the polys of the mesh, so it won't distort wrong.

Is there probably a ready to use ICE compound for that ? I can't program ICE by myself.

Pls share.

The following demonstration object is quite simpler as the actual, more complex object i'm working with.
Image

Applied Thickness:
Image

Regards,
Frank

User avatar
Diurno
Posts: 242
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 07:50

Re: How to Create a Fitting Casing

Post by Diurno » 15 May 2013, 15:06

can you specify why Extrude along normal didn't work? It seems strange, when i need something like that usually between extruding, applying thickness and offsetting there is always one that works fine. :-?

Btw, if you need none distance by the source object can't you just work on it with the shader?

ps. try to get rid of Ngon before applying these kind of operators. :D

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: How to Create a Fitting Casing

Post by Frank1000 » 15 May 2013, 17:05

Hi Diurno,
thx for reply. Ya, these methods have problems with collisions of the extruded polys. Shader usually would be an option, but in this case there is the necessity to make a model due to extra texturing etc.
After some hours of trying around, I finally ended up modelling the whole hull from scratch, so I had the control over the process. Still wondering if there is a smart ICE compound around that can solve such stuff in a great way.

Regards,
Frank