selecting an area surrounded by an edge loop?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
selecting an area surrounded by an edge loop?
I think this ultimately belongs in "Programming" as I haven't found a good solution yet and could probably use some pointers how to program this myself, but here goes: say I have a selected closed loop of edges surrounding a bunch of polygons, is there an easy way to select the polygon area surrounded by loop of edges? Something similar to "select adjacent polygons", but restricted to that specific area.

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: selecting an area surrounded by an edge loop?
The RcTools command "Fill" will do just that (if you want to cheat) ;)
(Although itself uses a "cheap" trick)
(Although itself uses a "cheap" trick)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: selecting an area surrounded by an edge loop?
Oops, you're right...
I tend to forget about the awesomeness of the RCTools, just when I most need them!
Thanks for pointing this feature out to me again!
BTW: what trick did you employ?
I tend to forget about the awesomeness of the RCTools, just when I most need them!
Thanks for pointing this feature out to me again!
BTW: what trick did you employ?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: selecting an area surrounded by an edge loop?
It disconnects the selected edges/polygons, then does a grow selection with 9000000 (or so) neighbors, and finally without shame deletes the disconnect op
Seems to work without any side effects so credits for this mainly go to the programmers that did those individual commands.
Seems to work without any side effects so credits for this mainly go to the programmers that did those individual commands.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026