So as a side hobby I buy faulty things and repair them, I recently bought a tesla c2070 6gb for $240 faulty.
Apparently there is almost no market for these things since when I sold it (working) it only went for $200.
I am now considering just keeping it myself but as I understand it SI doesn't really use them for much:
Fluid particles: Very restricted based on PhysX, already have enough trouble using Lagoa, can't imagine losing even more flexibility would be worth a quicker framerate.
Rendering: If I'm not mistaken iRay never got integrated properly?
So I don't really see as it's worth having this thing sitting in my PC doing nothing when I could just spend the money on a bit better video card when they come out.. especially since there's now no difference between GeForce + quadro.
Are Tesla worthwhile?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
For that price I'd keep it. Redshift is coming (and it's fantastic). It'll use it ;)
http://www.redshift3d.com/
http://www.redshift3d.com/
-
frosty3907
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 18 Oct 2012, 08:41
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
I know it's cheap but $200 is still not something I can afford to throw down on something I'll never use.
Red shift looks nice but how well will it integrate?
Red shift looks nice but how well will it integrate?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
I'm testing right now and it's more than nice, it's outstanding! Integration is incredible, the features it has now are better integrated than MR which has been around forever. It is still in development so some features are not there yet but the ones that are there are extremely stable, perfectly integrated and wow, is it fast. Trust me, when it comes out, you'll want it ;)
Redshift is like the Terrafirminator VS Mental Ray the Kitten Clipper
Redshift is like the Terrafirminator VS Mental Ray the Kitten Clipper
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
look at ice sph by Mr Core on here that uses the gpu for particles. You might want to try it for that. Or if you have Octane render, or before you invest in octane, try it out with blender cycles renderer.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
it's a quadro 6000 wit just one output plugs - I wonder that plug works well.
It's possible the renderers use it, but I'd check just to make sure.. in mean time I expect you'll be paying a lot more in electricity. my work xw8600 didn't have a big enough power supply to support the teslas I got for free from nvidia.
try to sell it as a bitcoin mining gpu! people will buy it, although I've read that you'll spend more in electricity that you'll make mining the bitcoins.
It's possible the renderers use it, but I'd check just to make sure.. in mean time I expect you'll be paying a lot more in electricity. my work xw8600 didn't have a big enough power supply to support the teslas I got for free from nvidia.
try to sell it as a bitcoin mining gpu! people will buy it, although I've read that you'll spend more in electricity that you'll make mining the bitcoins.
-
frosty3907
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 18 Oct 2012, 08:41
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
Not sure what you mean regarding the plug? There's no dvi connector.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
what's that connector on the tesla then?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
Lucric, do you have any Teslas you would like to sell (really cheap to a poor freelancer) 
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Are Tesla worthwhile?
Biggest Win of the day ;)ActionArt wrote:I'm testing right now and it's more than nice, it's outstanding! Integration is incredible, the features it has now are better integrated than MR which has been around forever. It is still in development so some features are not there yet but the ones that are there are extremely stable, perfectly integrated and wow, is it fast. Trust me, when it comes out, you'll want it ;)
Redshift is like the Terrafirminator VS Mental Ray the Kitten Clipper![]()
Edit to remove video. no need for it twice
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University