Monitor Calibrator ?
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Monitor Calibrator ?
Like a color spyder?
Yes, I do.
Yes, I do.
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Falam
Re: Monitor Calibrator ?
Are they worth it for 3D work ?Rork wrote:Like a color spyder?
Yes, I do.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Monitor Calibrator ?
I don't think that the way you have to look at it.
Color calibration is a part of your workflow, and a badly calibrated monitor is going to hurt you somewhere in the process.
It's better to be in the 90% range due to calibration (every monitor will be slightly different, even the same brand/model), than being completely off by dumb default settings done by the manufacturer too make the monitor look good. (read: over saturated colors)
Color calibration will make all the work more in sync, and moving material over to someone else makes it more consistent colorwise.
So it's not just for 3D ;)
rob
Color calibration is a part of your workflow, and a badly calibrated monitor is going to hurt you somewhere in the process.
It's better to be in the 90% range due to calibration (every monitor will be slightly different, even the same brand/model), than being completely off by dumb default settings done by the manufacturer too make the monitor look good. (read: over saturated colors)
Color calibration will make all the work more in sync, and moving material over to someone else makes it more consistent colorwise.
So it's not just for 3D ;)
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Monitor Calibrator ?
I have a colorHug http://www.hughski.com/ ...but it's a humongous PITA to configure correctly and don't expect much tech support if you're not experienced in Linux and/or have a non-standard display with a wide sRGB gamut or other specialized display.
I used it to calibrate a few screens so far (laptop/desktop) with minimal issues though, so price-wise I still think it's a great colorimeter without any multiple display restrictions. And it has all the features that the Spyder or other products does, at a fraction of the price.
But strictly speaking, colour calibration is only really mandatory if you really need your stuff to work on print as well or especially if you're doing photography work...I've been eyeball-calibrating all this while for years without major issues. Just use a set of test images (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) and take half an hour off to adjust your gamma levels, usually will already give you suitable results.
I used it to calibrate a few screens so far (laptop/desktop) with minimal issues though, so price-wise I still think it's a great colorimeter without any multiple display restrictions. And it has all the features that the Spyder or other products does, at a fraction of the price.
But strictly speaking, colour calibration is only really mandatory if you really need your stuff to work on print as well or especially if you're doing photography work...I've been eyeball-calibrating all this while for years without major issues. Just use a set of test images (http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/) and take half an hour off to adjust your gamma levels, usually will already give you suitable results.