Scale entire scene root?

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Bobby Boston
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 May 2013, 17:57

Scale entire scene root?

Post by Bobby Boston » 07 May 2013, 00:02

I have created a scene with numerous models imported from CAD software that I created at real world scale. I have done all the animating for the models, characters and cameras. Now I am implementing some particle effects including a lagoa simulation. I tested my particle effects in a separate scene and achieved the look that I want. My problem is I feel like my scene has gotten to big and would simulate better if I scaled everything down. My question is if there is a way to scale the entire scene including cameras and animated keys?

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Scale entire scene root?

Post by NNois » 07 May 2013, 07:20

exactly, lagoa and other physical effect in softimage use the "base" convention of 1 unit=10 centimeters.

you can try two things:
1. Save your scene normally, then create a new one and "merge" with your scene, your entire scene will be in a model that you can scale down. If you just scale the model uniformly this should be fine but orienting it or scaling it non uniformely could cause some behaviors.
Don't forget to save a render settings preset and reaply it on the new scene, because this parameters aren't included in the merge operation.

2. Or you can try to scale up your point cloud to compensate or create a custom parameter to scale the physical parameters contained in your point cloud. This could be more efficient to adjust your simulation ;-)

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Scale entire scene root?

Post by EricTRocks » 07 May 2013, 13:47

In my experience scaling models only leads to pain, anger, and needless loss of sleep. Keep all model nodes at world zero with 1,1,1 scaling. If you need to, get another null under that and scale that.

As for ICE, you'll want to keep your particle clouds at world zero and unscaled to ensure that the simulation is calculated in the correct space. Transforming a particle cloud can lead to incorrect results as well.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Bobby Boston
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 May 2013, 17:57

Re: Scale entire scene root?

Post by Bobby Boston » 27 May 2013, 10:19

Hey great tips guys, thank you so much.
Merging the scene actually worked perfect for me. It allowed me to scale the entire scene with lights, cameras, models and particles all with animation on them.

I had already tried to just drop the scene root into a null but no matter how I tried the animation tracks wouldn't scale accordingly with the rest of the scene. Maybe just making a model out of the scene root would work, I hadn't tried that.

Anyways, thank you so much NNois you saved the day. :-bd