Help with Dust Particles ?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 May 2013, 23:59

Hi guys,

Please don't laugh at me... but I wanna create dust particles to create the same effects in the following videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNdEuU30m4

Timeline = 0:18 secs

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEz0mYMPbjU

Timeline = 0:09 secs , 0:18 secs , and actually you can see the same effect throughout the entire video if you watch it in HD.

I couldn't find any good tutorials on how to achieve that in XSI. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
XF

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by Superpositivo » 05 May 2013, 01:45

The dust is easily achievable using After Effects and the built in particles, or external plugins, it's quite simple.

If Softimage is needed, I did it like this (sample Scn):
https://mega.co.nz/#!OUkE3RzD!NwiyYTR_H ... AHXCCEOlM0

Then in compositing, a Camera Lens Blur effect (in the plug-in list) with the Diffraction Fringe parameter to 500 (instead the default 100), would work.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 05 May 2013, 03:40

Superpositivo wrote:The dust is easily achievable using After Effects and the built in particles, or external plugins, it's quite simple.

If Softimage is needed, I did it like this (sample Scn):
https://mega.co.nz/#!OUkE3RzD!NwiyYTR_H ... AHXCCEOlM0

Then in compositing, a Camera Lens Blur effect (in the plug-in list) with the Diffraction Fringe parameter to 500 (instead the default 100), would work.
Sweeeet ! Thanks, I'll check out the scene file and look into After Effects particles as well :)

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by Bullit » 05 May 2013, 23:15

For some reason can't download the scene.

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by Superpositivo » 06 May 2013, 02:14

Try with Firefox...

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 May 2013, 04:07

Superpositivo wrote:Try with Firefox...
Hi man,

Sorry to bother you but, the scene wouldn't load. I tried with SI 2012 and 2013. What version was this created in ? 2014 ?

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by Superpositivo » 06 May 2013, 09:21

Here it is. It's really nothing fancy, but maybe it can help you.

https://mega.co.nz/#!CBk1WbRL!OEVIcnWIZ ... ODDH1G0pxU

You might want to turn off the volumic that I added as a first preview.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 May 2013, 17:53

Superpositivo wrote:Here it is. It's really nothing fancy, but maybe it can help you.

https://mega.co.nz/#!CBk1WbRL!OEVIcnWIZ ... ODDH1G0pxU

You might want to turn off the volumic that I added as a first preview.
Ok will do, thanks :) I'll check it out and let you know how it goes.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Help with Dust Particles ?

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 May 2013, 19:31

Superpositivo wrote:Here it is. It's really nothing fancy, but maybe it can help you.

https://mega.co.nz/#!CBk1WbRL!OEVIcnWIZ ... ODDH1G0pxU

You might want to turn off the volumic that I added as a first preview.
Superpositivo,

I checked out the scene and it's just what I'm trying to achieve! Thank you so much.

The same effect will be added to my new showreel. I feel like I have add you to the end credits to show my gratitude. What do you say ?

Much appreciated,
Hassan