As some of you may have noticed our post count during the week has increased tremendously over the last couple of months, but our weekends seem to be lagging behind big time. To illustrate, this is only the second post of this Saturday (ETA+1, forum time). So now I was wondering if it might be a nice idea to instate a friendly competition/challenge (i.e. no prizes), along the lines of the ongoing Speedmodeling contest on the German Softimage Forum with a “weekend twist”. The rules would be simple: there is a (vague) topic to inspire some modeling done within 90 minutes. But as a weekend twist, the new topic would be revealed on Friday evening (forum time) and the contest would run until Sunday evening late (23:59, again forum time). Everybody posts their result (wireframes should suffice). After that the community votes for a winner and the winner decides the next topic and reveals it the next friday.
But instead of setting such a challenge on good faith alone, I’d really like to hear some opinions. Would this be something you’d consider joining in? Or do you maybe have another fun idea for a weekend challenge?
;)
Major hat tip goes to miga of the German Softimage Forum, obviously, who initiated the Speedmodeling over there (in 2007, no less).
PS With this kind of competition weeding out cheaters (people who take more time for instance) is obviously impossible, but this being a friendly competition shouldn't make cheating all that likely, I hope...
Weekend Challenges?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Weekend Challenges?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Weekend Challenges?
That's a good idea, would help inrease weekend activity here, also there's a lack of modeling w-i-p (which I personally find more interesting than seeing something finished) -- so for that it would help too.
Maybe we can reserve a top row spot for announcing the challenge and then showing the winning art for the rest of the week - then we'd have a prize too.
Maybe we can reserve a top row spot for announcing the challenge and then showing the winning art for the rest of the week - then we'd have a prize too.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Weekend Challenges?
That's a good idea also. I'd have to discuss that with Owei. But judging the response, I'm starting to doubt, if it's a feasible idea after all. Ah well, let's see what tomorrow brings...rray wrote:Maybe we can reserve a top row spot for announcing the challenge and then showing the winning art for the rest of the week - then we'd have a prize too.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Weekend Challenges?
Okay, I've decided to give it a shot. Next Friday I'll (for once, to get us started) post a topic for our very first Weekend Speedmodeling Challenge. I hope you will not let me down, as I myself won't even be able to participate, unless my arm magically gets "unbroken" this week.
I'll probably start a new subforum under "Community Projects".
;)
I'll probably start a new subforum under "Community Projects".
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
kiwimation
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21
Re: Weekend Challenges?
I would like to take part in these kinds of things but there is no way i could do it over a weekend with kids and wife and lawns and broken toys and car need fixing etc etc.
You could try something like what is happening in the newtek forums at the moment.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135341-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-215-Cluedo-there-s-been-a-murder!
Not sure if you need to be logged in to see it so here are they rules they have set below.
Speed Modeling Challenge #215 - Cluedo - there's been a murder!
Rules:
1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.
You could try something like what is happening in the newtek forums at the moment.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135341-Speed-Modeling-Challenge-215-Cluedo-there-s-been-a-murder!
Not sure if you need to be logged in to see it so here are they rules they have set below.
Speed Modeling Challenge #215 - Cluedo - there's been a murder!
Rules:
1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger. (For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Weekend Challenges?
Hmm, that's a tough one. I understand where you're coming from, but my initial reasons to make it a weekend challenge were the following:
But again, the issue raised, if it should be a weekend challenge or more of a general challenge, is something I dare not decide alone. Your views are welcome.

- Blatant attempt to increase forum activity during the weekends
Quick turnover, two days and you're done, next weekend: next topic
Most professionals would only have to time during the weekends (?)
But again, the issue raised, if it should be a weekend challenge or more of a general challenge, is something I dare not decide alone. Your views are welcome.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
kiwimation
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21
Re: Weekend Challenges?
I would have something along the lines of a weekly challange, No time limit just a fun subject posted on Monday, people have all week to play with it, I find i would have most time during the week either after work or when im waiting on render etc at work. That way people could spend a hour on it or more . Have the final submissions on saturday with judging on sunday. Even have wip thread to drive up traffic abit. You could even let the judging go for a week with a pole thread.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Weekend Challenges?
I would really like to see some additional opinions about the question whether this should be a weekend challenge or a more general challenge kind of setup...

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
gustavoeb
- Moderator
- Posts: 587
- Joined: 20 Jul 2010, 22:33
- Skype: gustavoboehs
Re: Weekend Challenges?
I dont know about that... but keeping it short (90min) is very good, IMHO, as it is not THAT time consuming... so it may appeal to a broader audience
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: Weekend Challenges?
(concerning this post:)
I'm new here, loved the idea, don't give up!
But yes, I use SI, but don't do modelling in SI, only elsewhere... so I didn't know how to compete. I would compete in like a monthly challenge with a theme that focuses on something more than just a model (mainly due to time constraints really), like a provided model to animate something quickly, a final render, a UV unwrap and texture/material, a scene layout with models provided, an ICE challenge or simulation or something else dynamic. Or even just the simple render a final of a model built in SI over the weekend like normal (I'll have to learn how to model in SI), or just compete over a month (because then you'd get a higher quality winner, draws more attraction ultimately to SI and the competition and thus grants more grace for participants to work on winning better)
I played competitions in other forums a bit, and it was good to have a Challenge comment thread also, so you have the Entry thread (with conditions) and a comment thread (linked to the entry thread and conditions, for brainstorming, bouncing the whole competition up to the top, social blah blah etc), and maybe WIP's be welcome.
That might help.
I'm new here, loved the idea, don't give up!
But yes, I use SI, but don't do modelling in SI, only elsewhere... so I didn't know how to compete. I would compete in like a monthly challenge with a theme that focuses on something more than just a model (mainly due to time constraints really), like a provided model to animate something quickly, a final render, a UV unwrap and texture/material, a scene layout with models provided, an ICE challenge or simulation or something else dynamic. Or even just the simple render a final of a model built in SI over the weekend like normal (I'll have to learn how to model in SI), or just compete over a month (because then you'd get a higher quality winner, draws more attraction ultimately to SI and the competition and thus grants more grace for participants to work on winning better)
I played competitions in other forums a bit, and it was good to have a Challenge comment thread also, so you have the Entry thread (with conditions) and a comment thread (linked to the entry thread and conditions, for brainstorming, bouncing the whole competition up to the top, social blah blah etc), and maybe WIP's be welcome.
That might help.