Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 May 2013, 14:48

I just found a screenshot of my first 3d software. It was called Cad3D and ran on an atari st 512, which I "pimped up" to 1 Mb for a lot of money. I made my first animation with it: 23 frames of an ant wiggling one leg and turning the head -in 16 shades of grey. From this moment, I was doomed... ;)
screenshot.cad3d2.gif
from here:
http://www.asterius.com/atari/history3.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by luceric » 03 May 2013, 15:19

I had an Atari 1040st. I used it for music sequencing, with Notator and later Cubase 2.0. I had that monochome monitor, so I instantly recongnized GEM from that screenshort. I learned programming in pre-ANSI C on that computer with a compler called "Sozobon C", which was "Nobozos" spelt backward. It was around 1990.

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by Pooby » 03 May 2013, 15:29

This is where I started..stop motion
My First TV commercial in 1996
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCxqKdcw9E

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 May 2013, 15:37

Pooby wrote:This is where I started..stop motion
My First TV commercial in 1996
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCxqKdcw9E
Real light is still the best renderer ;) nice!
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 May 2013, 15:40

luceric wrote:I had an Atari 1040st. I used it for music sequencing, with Notator and later Cubase 2.0.
Yes, that's what I had my atari for, too.
Animating on the atari was stop motion basically...
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
ActionArt
Posts: 853
Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
Location: Canada

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by ActionArt » 03 May 2013, 15:40

Strangely enough, I was amazed by this back in the day and it's what got me started :)



And I always wished I could afford Softimage and an SGI back then when I saw this:


User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Those where the times.... The Nostalgy thread

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 May 2013, 17:14

Image
3D Monster Maze (1981/1982) on my first home computer, the mighty (at the time) Sinclair ZX81

Back then, it had nothing to do with creating 3D yourself,
but this definitively planted the seed, so to speak.

Man, I'm old... =))

There actually is a gameplay video on youtube :))
Stay safe, sane & healthy!