instance array replicator

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
snowctrl
Posts: 19
Joined: 20 Apr 2012, 10:18
Skype: snowctrl

instance array replicator

Post by snowctrl » 01 May 2013, 11:22

Hi there

I'm trying to make a lawn, and in this scene a simple texture map will not do.

So I have a patch-of-grass Model made from ICE strands that looks nice and seems to render at a decent speed - next I want to rapidly replicate this in two directions at once... but I can't find an array replicate tool... I'm sure years ago (XSI 3.5 maybe?) I did something very similar to this with a tool that was found in Netview at the time...?

Does current XSI (I'm using 2013) have such a tool? Or is there a plugin someone could point me to that would do it quickly for me?

It would save a lot of time...

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: instance array replicator

Post by Tekano » 01 May 2013, 14:25

edit>duplicate>duplicate multiple ..? it has a transform panel option
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

snowctrl
Posts: 19
Joined: 20 Apr 2012, 10:18
Skype: snowctrl

Re: instance array replicator

Post by snowctrl » 03 May 2013, 17:33

sorry, by 'array' I meant more than just a single dimension of duplication ie rather than just creating a line of Instances, I want to be able to create a grid of them

Am I missing something? I can't see a way of doing this with the Duplicate Multiple or Instantiate Multiple tools

3DSmax has been able to 'array duplicate' for a very long time...

jON

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: instance array replicator

Post by xsisupport » 03 May 2013, 19:09

You can do it in two steps. Duplicate N times to create the row. Then select the whole row and duplicate M times to create the columns.

Or instance with ICE using a grid pointcloud?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Chris_TC
Posts: 411
Joined: 22 Mar 2010, 16:43

Re: instance array replicator

Post by Chris_TC » 03 May 2013, 20:14

xsisupport wrote:You can do it in two steps. Duplicate N times to create the row. Then select the whole row and duplicate M times to create the columns.

Or instance with ICE using a grid pointcloud?
Both are great options that I use often.
Of course doing it in ICE is infinitely preferrable if you want to be able to easily change placement and distribution later.

snowctrl
Posts: 19
Joined: 20 Apr 2012, 10:18
Skype: snowctrl

Re: instance array replicator

Post by snowctrl » 10 May 2013, 08:35

Sorry for the late response, just got back to this after working on some other stuff

Got the ICE array method working thanks to this post:

http://xsisupport.com/2010/04/01/instan ... primitive/

It's a very nice solution

I love ICE (though I'm still a beginner at it)

Thanks for your help