Hi
I am sure this is not too hectic, but struggling like usual to get my head around the logic.
The effect is like this one https://vimeo.com/52920070
I am getting the point to duplicate after time but then it duplicates every frame, although I am setting my particle state to stop it from cloning - I am sure the loop or way I am doing stuff is wrong....
The way I have it is:
get time > if greater than time && state is 0 > clone point > from current point position > set state 1
But it clones the points and then changes the state to 1 and keeps cloning, am I missing something? Thinking of it now my timer of the particle might only be for the first particle - but how do I set custom time parameter for each particle?
Thanks in advance
Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
Not exactly sure what you mean (but that's probably just me - first cup of coffee), could you perhaps post a screenshot of your ICE Tree?

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
cnever
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
I think I have just read like 3 of your comments - bit of a time warp - I am guessing you edit the post or something hahaha quite weirdHirazi Blue wrote:Not exactly sure what you mean (but that's probably just me - first cup of coffee), could you perhaps post a screenshot of your ICE Tree?
Anyway here is the tree, if that helps - quite confusing now, still experimenting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
use/test particle age?cnever wrote:Hi
but how do I set custom time parameter for each particle?
Thanks in advance
-
cnever
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
Hi LetterboxLetterbox wrote: use/test particle age?
The test particle age seems to give the same result or did you just mean to assign different timings on particles the get particle age will give me that amount?
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
Hi since you emit at say 10 particles per frame, than at frame 2, those particles are 'younger' than the others emitted on frame 1, right. So you could use states, triggers based on the particle age. and the splits too, but remember those splits would probably be 'just born age' (test it and see), not inheriting the age from the split particle. (but you set their age to be so.) I hope you get thatcnever wrote:Hi LetterboxLetterbox wrote: use/test particle age?
The test particle age seems to give the same result or did you just mean to assign different timings on particles the get particle age will give me that amount?
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
Hi since you emit at say 10 particles per frame, than at frame 2, those particles are 'younger' than the others emitted on frame 1, right. So you could use states, triggers based on the particle age. and the splits too, but remember those splits would probably be 'just born age' (test it and see), not inheriting the age from the split particle. (but you set their age to be so, or not if you want them to split too.) I hope you get thatLetterbox wrote:cnever wrote:Hi LetterboxLetterbox wrote: use/test particle age?
The test particle age seems to give the same result or did you just mean to assign different timings on particles the get particle age will give me that amount?
As for the rest see the comments (LBX) I made on the video, about how I would make something like this, again it's not the way Chris made it, but it was (honestly) designed in my head after seeing his pattern movement, and not tested, so you'd have to play with the values of the forces etc, but even Chris thought it's a viable way to do it.
-
cnever
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
I think I am following what your are saying, but the problem is not spawning on certain time (I think) the problem lays with the first particle and the other for that matter going past lets say 2 seconds and then clone point from that position.Letterbox wrote:So you could use states, triggers based on the particle age. and the splits too, but remember those splits would probably be 'just born age' (test it and see), not inheriting the age from the split particle. (but you set their age to be so.) I hope you get that
So changing the state on clone to 1 you stop them from cloning again (they have done their job) but the first particle still stays in state 0, so I think that is why I get a clone every frame? Maybe I am just confusing the matter, feels a bit like I am.
-
Letterbox
- Posts: 391
- Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 12:49
Re: Duplicate point over time - like cells reproducing
Possibly, but it's easy enough to test, make the particles age last for a few frames (and only emit small amounts), then use kill/die/delete particle with a "test Particle age", then you'll easier to be able to see what's going on. And also change the colors of the particles for each state, so you'll be able to see what particles are in what state.cnever wrote:I think I am following what your are saying, but the problem is not spawning on certain time (I think) the problem lays with the first particle and the other for that matter going past lets say 2 seconds and then clone point from that position.Letterbox wrote:So you could use states, triggers based on the particle age. and the splits too, but remember those splits would probably be 'just born age' (test it and see), not inheriting the age from the split particle. (but you set their age to be so.) I hope you get that
So changing the state on clone to 1 you stop them from cloning again (they have done their job) but the first particle still stays in state 0, so I think that is why I get a clone every frame? Maybe I am just confusing the matter, feels a bit like I am.
Two other idea's to help come to mind also in debugging this, key the emitter to stop emitting after a few frames, and create (if there isn't one) a delete "particle by state" node.
And it's all good experience, so dont worry/panic, 90% of this work, is (rather should be) debugging it to make sure it works no matter what. So this icon is typical...