Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
nerik
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Apr 2013, 09:55

Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by nerik » 30 Apr 2013, 08:02

Hello there !

I'm a Unity3D developer and I must say I have no experience with SoftImage at all... But I'm trying to work with meshes that my 3D artist made with SI and we're running into some problems.

We are working on a small project for a museum about sharks.
I have these 3 shark meshes that the 3D artist is making using Softimage.
2 out of 3 are looking good (I had to swap UV channels though), but the UVs from the third are broken no matter what we try.

Image
Image
Image

What's complicated is that the artist doesn't know a thing about Unity, and I don't know a thing about Softimage...

So if anyone knows a common pitfall, or at least have some pointers, that would be really heplful. Right now we are really stuck :(

Thanks heaps everyone !

Erik


Edited by gustavoeb: When using big images try using the rimg tag. Here is how to: https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... =37&t=2171

mattf06
Posts: 17
Joined: 22 Jan 2013, 10:25

Re: Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by mattf06 » 30 Apr 2013, 09:43

To be sure, check with Autodesk FBX viewer (it is free, and I use it to check exports).

Else, maybe a Normal issue? Or to many texture projections on this mesh? Freeze it and reexport it?

regards,

Matt

nerik
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Apr 2013, 09:55

Re: Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by nerik » 27 May 2013, 08:44

Hello,

Thanks Matt for your answer.

You were right, there are too many UV projections (3 while Unity only support 2). I checked that importing the fbx in Blender.

Could you please confirm that it is possible to remove unnecessary projections in Softimage? If so, is that something easy to do?
Right now the artist who I'm working with seems not to be able to do that :(

I'm really stuck, thanks heaps for your help !

nerik
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Apr 2013, 09:55

Re: Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by nerik » 27 May 2013, 10:37

I can see the 3 projections in Softimage, but I can't delete/discard the 2 first ones I don't need...

Is it possible to remove UV projections in Softimage??

Thanks!

User avatar
Superpositivo
Posts: 123
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 13:48

Re: Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by Superpositivo » 27 May 2013, 13:25

Open the explorer, select the model ("E" key in the explorer to isolate the model, if you prefer).
Open the cluster list, select the undesired UV, press Canc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nerik
Posts: 4
Joined: 28 Apr 2013, 09:55

Re: Help : problems with UVs when exporting to fbx

Post by nerik » 27 May 2013, 14:30

This is working. Thanks a lot man !

Cheers