Harmonious Triangles in camera view

General questions and troubleshooting SOFTIMAGE©
Scarabrae
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jul 2011, 20:55

Harmonious Triangles in camera view

Post by Scarabrae » 18 Apr 2013, 06:09

One of the great features that I think Lightwave has is the ability to have Composition Overlays in the camera view so that we can see the viewport with the Golden Sections, Harmonious Triangles etc.

I'd love to have the same in Softimage and I'm asking if anyone here has any idea how to have this?

I am thinking that some sort of image with an alpha with an alpha channel that is somehow constrained to the camera via the rotoscope may be an option? I'm just not too sure how to go about it.

Any ideas?

User avatar
sonictk
Posts: 124
Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01

Re: Harmonious Triangles in camera view

Post by sonictk » 18 Apr 2013, 08:53

Scarabrae wrote:One of the great features that I think Lightwave has is the ability to have Composition Overlays in the camera view so that we can see the viewport with the Golden Sections, Harmonious Triangles etc.

I'd love to have the same in Softimage and I'm asking if anyone here has any idea how to have this?

I am thinking that some sort of image with an alpha with an alpha channel that is somehow constrained to the camera via the rotoscope may be an option? I'm just not too sure how to go about it.

Any ideas?
Uhh, if you really want this...just have a viewport background with the image of your choice? O__o

Scarabrae
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jul 2011, 20:55

Re: Harmonious Triangles in camera view

Post by Scarabrae » 18 Apr 2013, 18:05

sonictk wrote:
Scarabrae wrote:One of the great features that I think Lightwave has is the ability to have Composition Overlays in the camera view so that we can see the viewport with the Golden Sections, Harmonious Triangles etc.

I'd love to have the same in Softimage and I'm asking if anyone here has any idea how to have this?

I am thinking that some sort of image with an alpha with an alpha channel that is somehow constrained to the camera via the rotoscope may be an option? I'm just not too sure how to go about it.

Any ideas?
Uhh, if you really want this...just have a viewport background with the image of your choice? O__o
Thanks for the reply, however I want the image to to stick to the camera if I translate or rotate the camera.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Harmonious Triangles in camera view

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Apr 2013, 20:24

Scarabrae wrote:One of the great features that I think Lightwave has is the ability to have Composition Overlays in the camera view so that we can see the viewport with the Golden Sections, Harmonious Triangles etc.

I'd love to have the same in Softimage and I'm asking if anyone here has any idea how to have this?

I am thinking that some sort of image with an alpha with an alpha channel that is somehow constrained to the camera via the rotoscope may be an option? I'm just not too sure how to go about it.

Any ideas?
Not so elegant, but you can parent some plane to camera, apply transparent texture (or just model wireframe according to golden cur or so). move it slightly along parent (that is, camera) Z axis.
If you want it to scale according to camera FOV, you can write an expression, for linking the scale to FOV. Expression on local scale could be something like this:
tan (Camera.camera.fov /2)
First "camera" word should be exact name of your camera.

Scarabrae
Posts: 6
Joined: 25 Jul 2011, 20:55

Re: Harmonious Triangles in camera view

Post by Scarabrae » 18 Apr 2013, 22:15

Mathaeus wrote:
Scarabrae wrote:One of the great features that I think Lightwave has is the ability to have Composition Overlays in the camera view so that we can see the viewport with the Golden Sections, Harmonious Triangles etc.

I'd love to have the same in Softimage and I'm asking if anyone here has any idea how to have this?

I am thinking that some sort of image with an alpha with an alpha channel that is somehow constrained to the camera via the rotoscope may be an option? I'm just not too sure how to go about it.

Any ideas?
Not so elegant, but you can parent some plane to camera, apply transparent texture (or just model wireframe according to golden cur or so). move it slightly along parent (that is, camera) Z axis.
If you want it to scale according to camera FOV, you can write an expression, for linking the scale to FOV. Expression on local scale could be something like this:
tan (Camera.camera.fov /2)
First "camera" word should be exact name of your camera.
Ah, thanks for that, I'll try that out. Cheers.