need secondary pivot center
-
hardgore
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 02:51
need secondary pivot center
to snap rotation and scale
-
EricTRocks
- Moderator
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41
Re: need secondary pivot center
This post needs to be a lot more direct and explained thoroughly or I'm inclined to remove it.
-
hardgore
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 02:51
Re: need secondary pivot center
when put secondary pivot center thing in blenderEricTRocks wrote:This post needs to be a lot more direct and explained thoroughly or I'm inclined to remove it.
rotation and scale gizmo fit between the pivots
allows snap the direction and size
just by adding secondary pivot thing allows 3 points transform like rhino
start and end and destination
modo have similar thing called planar rotate snap and scale absolute
but very uncomfortable
because have to setup the extra 2 points every time
also annoying to hotkey them all
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: need secondary pivot center
If I understand you right
You should take a look
At using reference planes
Oh sorry, I thought we were typing in haikus now
If you mean 3-point orient like how in Rhino you can make use of such a feature to align objects together, here's how you can do it in XSI quickly:
1. Select the object you want to align.
2. Switch to a manipulator mode (SRT)
3. Click on Ref in your Transform MCP, choose Pick point/edge/polygon reference. (usually I use poly, but if you REALLY want 3 point orient go with point)
4. Pick the object, then the component you want to align to.
5. Once that's done, select your original object, switch to Ref coordinate system, and zero out all the values.
6. Both your objects should now be aligned in SRT.
Hope that helps!
You should take a look
At using reference planes
Oh sorry, I thought we were typing in haikus now
If you mean 3-point orient like how in Rhino you can make use of such a feature to align objects together, here's how you can do it in XSI quickly:
1. Select the object you want to align.
2. Switch to a manipulator mode (SRT)
3. Click on Ref in your Transform MCP, choose Pick point/edge/polygon reference. (usually I use poly, but if you REALLY want 3 point orient go with point)
4. Pick the object, then the component you want to align to.
5. Once that's done, select your original object, switch to Ref coordinate system, and zero out all the values.
6. Both your objects should now be aligned in SRT.
Hope that helps!
-
Lord Futzi Voldemort
- Posts: 440
- Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01
Re: need secondary pivot center
you can also use the "alt" key to place or snap a temporary pivot to wherever you want. It will be reset after deselection the object.
I'm now part of an endangered species...
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: need secondary pivot center
Rotation snapping would be indeed useful
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: need secondary pivot center
I will probably do 3 point rotation tool this month since i need it for modeling
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: need secondary pivot center
That sounds like an awesome tool.
What I'd find awesome too is if Autodesk would be to release all internal tools as SDK samples like they did with the add smooth edge loop.
We could easily customize them to our needs without having to much dev work for rewriting them from scratch.
The reason I'd like that is because there are some issues in some of them that are causing real pain when bumping into them a million times over.
What I'd find awesome too is if Autodesk would be to release all internal tools as SDK samples like they did with the add smooth edge loop.
We could easily customize them to our needs without having to much dev work for rewriting them from scratch.
The reason I'd like that is because there are some issues in some of them that are causing real pain when bumping into them a million times over.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
hardgore
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 02:51
Re: need secondary pivot center
the secondary point need to be hotkeyable
and work with snap just like temporary pivot center does
also support local and global things
you know better
please dont forget scale tool
i dont wanna drag all the vertices to fit cylinder
or remove and bridge to mass up with UV
and work with snap just like temporary pivot center does
also support local and global things
you know better
please dont forget scale tool
i dont wanna drag all the vertices to fit cylinder
or remove and bridge to mass up with UV
-
dwigfor
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46
Re: need secondary pivot center
For scaling, have you seen this script? https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... =29&t=2311
Haven't seen myara on here in a while.. Hopefully he's doing good and hasn't abandoned us. I miss reading his insights.
Haven't seen myara on here in a while.. Hopefully he's doing good and hasn't abandoned us. I miss reading his insights.