ICE ignores vertices?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

ICE ignores vertices?

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 16 Apr 2013, 14:11

I tested deforming a mesh along a curve. It works as expected so far, but no matter what I do, some vertices are ignored by ICE.
Am I missing something? Anyone has this problem seen before?
ICE_Weirdness.jpg
Softimage 2014 would freeze when loading this scene by the way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: ICE ignores vertices?

Post by xsisupport » 16 Apr 2013, 14:44

NormalizedUValue is coming back as 0 for some vertices, so the issue is with the Curve to normalized U part of the tree.
When I put the step down to 1 it tapered nicely, go figure.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: ICE ignores vertices?

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 16 Apr 2013, 15:07

xsisupport wrote:NormalizedUValue is coming back as 0 for some vertices, so the issue is with the Curve to normalized U part of the tree.
When I put the step down to 1 it tapered nicely, go figure.
Yes it does, thank you!
Seems a bit of a contradiction to " Step: Controls the accuracy of the result. Higher values give better approximations but may take longer to calculate."

But, the modulating FCurve is linear, the tapered result isn't!
So if I want a precise result, it doesn't work. Cool. Every day another trap. (exchange the t with any letter of you choice)

Anyway, is it ok if I send Softimage support requests to solid angle in the future?


Edit: With Steps set to 1, the scene will load in 2014. However as soon as I alter the steps value, 2014 will freeze. There is something very wrong.

Edit 2: yepp, in 2014 it doesn't work at all. I set it up in 2014 from scratch, with step 1, and I got the same effect as in 2013 with higher values. And 2014 also freezes with other values.

This is a good example, how SI is slowly going down the drain, because of virtually non existent QA.
I'm now part of an endangered species...