ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
klipi
Posts: 9
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 14:07

ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Post by klipi » 03 Nov 2009, 14:22

Hi,
Is it posible to change output path for rendered image and finalgather map when rendering mi2 files using ray3.exe
I tried this but it does not work (fg map and final image are still rendered in default XSI project folder):

ray3 -v -file_dir c:\mi_render c:\mi_render\camera01.mi2

"mi_render" is local folder on PC and idea is to reduce stress on server disk.

Thank you.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Nov 2009, 19:23

Hmm, I don't have access to "ray3.exe" myself, but after a glance at the Mental Ray Manual, I guess you're looking for the following command line switch:
-file_dir "path"
If set then all output images are written to the given directory path. This is especially useful for animations with multiple frames.
Hope it helps... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

klipi
Posts: 9
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 14:07

Re: ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Post by klipi » 03 Nov 2009, 22:59

that is what i thought also reading mental ray manual, but it does not work for me. output images still
end up in xsi project folder. Thanks anyway.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Nov 2009, 07:49

Sorry, I didn't read your post correctly... :ymblushing:

edit: okay, I looked into it some more ( :ymblushing: again)...
Seems to be an old bug (this sound similar to me). Can you test it with a different version of ray3?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

klipi
Posts: 9
Joined: 03 Nov 2009, 14:07

Re: ray3.exe change output folder for rendered image

Post by klipi » 04 Nov 2009, 10:08

Thank you very much! im going to try some older ray3.
also I noticed that if you don't use -file_dir command ray3 is not
going to render your mi2 file if it is somewhere outside of xsi project folder.

Thanks again.