Child Center Moves on Parents Que
-
Falam
Child Center Moves on Parents Que
I have two objects, one is the child of the parent. When I set the center for the child and lock it, remove classical scaling from the child object then move the parent, the center for the child moves, is there any way to fix this ?
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
How can I set anything with the parameter connection editor, if the child object center is not where it should be relative to the parent and keeps moving it's self to 'center of verticies' driving me mad. 
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que

The Center is where I want it. De-select the object and select it again; after freezing transformations and setting a neutral pose and freezing the model.

WTF ?
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but usually when it comes to pivots in XSI:
- is ChildCompensation on?
- Did you reset the pivot before setting neutral pose/freezing transforms/moving center to vertices?
- Did you freeze after performing a Center operation?
Also, is COG on? You might be looking at the wrong pivot...
- is ChildCompensation on?
- Did you reset the pivot before setting neutral pose/freezing transforms/moving center to vertices?
- Did you freeze after performing a Center operation?
Also, is COG on? You might be looking at the wrong pivot...
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
I got the center to stay where it should, on the positive note, I think I was doing the order to keep the center in it's new position wrong.sonictk wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but usually when it comes to pivots in XSI:
- is ChildCompensation on?
- Did you reset the pivot before setting neutral pose/freezing transforms/moving center to vertices?
- Did you freeze after performing a Center operation?
Also, is COG on? You might be looking at the wrong pivot...
On the negative side of things, when I set the new center for the 'child' object which has a parent, when I move the parent the child doesn't move ? I re-parented the child to the parent after setting the childs new center, when I move the parent the child doesn't move.
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
...Do you have child compensation on at this point...?Falam wrote:I got the center to stay where it should, on the positive note, I think I was doing the order to keep the center in it's new position wrong.sonictk wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but usually when it comes to pivots in XSI:
- is ChildCompensation on?
- Did you reset the pivot before setting neutral pose/freezing transforms/moving center to vertices?
- Did you freeze after performing a Center operation?
Also, is COG on? You might be looking at the wrong pivot...
On the negative side of things, when I set the new center for the 'child' object which has a parent, when I move the parent the child doesn't move ? I re-parented the child to the parent after setting the childs new center, when I move the parent the child doesn't move.
Maybe if possible you could record a small video or more screenshots of what you're trying to achieve? I'm still not sure what your ultimate goal is here...
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
(Got your PM)
Hi, I think it would be easier to understand what issues you're facing if you showed your whole UI, but I recorded a short video of how I have a simple parent-child relationship set up and how I would change the pivots for objects within that relationship:
Hopefully it makes more sense, though I suspect you probably have a different problem...check your operator stack to see if anything is affecting it? Especially for your scale, you might want to check your kinematics to see if it's being connected/locked to something else...
Hi, I think it would be easier to understand what issues you're facing if you showed your whole UI, but I recorded a short video of how I have a simple parent-child relationship set up and how I would change the pivots for objects within that relationship:
Hopefully it makes more sense, though I suspect you probably have a different problem...check your operator stack to see if anything is affecting it? Especially for your scale, you might want to check your kinematics to see if it's being connected/locked to something else...
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
sonic - I sent you another video. The parent issue is solved, I had to re-parent, something I didn't do when it's late in the night
In regards to the center problem, in the video I set the center where I want it, by snapping the center to the corner of the object. Then I freeze the center, set Neutral pose, freeze translation, then I'll animate the scaling, the center will then move on it's own to the middle of the object, how do I fix that ?
In regards to the center problem, in the video I set the center where I want it, by snapping the center to the corner of the object. Then I freeze the center, set Neutral pose, freeze translation, then I'll animate the scaling, the center will then move on it's own to the middle of the object, how do I fix that ?
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
From your video, am I correct in guessing that you are trying to setup a sliding flexible panel? Normally I would actually rig a seperate NURBS curve/implicit object to act as the actual control shape for the mesh and setup an expression to control the scale of the panel...(if necessary, use bones too to control the compression of the geometry
)
But of course, sometimes you just want it to work and to work NOW.
Anyway, I went ahead and recorded a short demo of how I would approach it if you were really short on time. Make sure you have 'Edit Obj pivot' enabled in the transform MCP; I think you might have it disabled.
But of course, sometimes you just want it to work and to work NOW.
Anyway, I went ahead and recorded a short demo of how I would approach it if you were really short on time. Make sure you have 'Edit Obj pivot' enabled in the transform MCP; I think you might have it disabled.
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
Now it works, the problem was I didn't have, as you said 'edit object pivot' enabled.
Except the child object won't freeze in world space, I froze the model, I froze the object, I froze all transformations, the object is not frozen in world space ?
I'd like to see how you would do this setup using nurbs and expressions, if you don't mind ?
Except the child object won't freeze in world space, I froze the model, I froze the object, I froze all transformations, the object is not frozen in world space ?
I'd like to see how you would do this setup using nurbs and expressions, if you don't mind ?
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
In world space, you won't see the object go to 0,0,0. It's normal; you won't be inheriting any any xforms (freezing xforms iirc basically parents the obj to the root/world, which is why you will see the xforms relative to the root node if you switch to world. This is the same for Maya as well.)Falam wrote:Now it works, the problem was I didn't have, as you said 'edit object pivot' enabled.
Except the child object won't freeze in world space, I froze the model, I froze the object, I froze all transformations, the object is not frozen in world space ?
I'd like to see how you would do this setup using nurbs and expressions, if you don't mind ?
I'm currently in the middle of something (school finals for 2 weeks aww yea), but I'll see if I can do a quick vid demo later in the week.
Take the time to read the XSI docs for writing expressions and parameter cxns, they're quite useful once you get the syntax.
-
Falam
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
@sonic - Thank you for the help
I understand what you mean by setting things up by expressions etc
If you can set up something, for the sake of it, I'd like to see, ya know
What did you mean by iirc ?In world space, you won't see the object go to 0,0,0. It's normal; you won't be inheriting any any xforms (freezing xforms iirc basically parents the obj to the root/world, which is why you will see the xforms relative to the root node if you switch to world
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Child Center Moves on Parents Que
Hi, hey I added a little demo scene that you can go through and pick through. Main thing to look at is the expression on the mover/child so that you can get the mover to be at 0,0,0 and be at the initial position that you want for the sliding door. (I didn't do a maximum/minimum 0 - 1 setup on the control, I have to admit I haven't played around with the Link With options in XSI that much, I'm more familiar in Maya and 'set driven keys' in that regard)Falam wrote:@sonic - Thank you for the helpI understand what you mean by setting things up by expressions etc
If you can set up something, for the sake of it, I'd like to see, ya know
What did you mean by iirc ?In world space, you won't see the object go to 0,0,0. It's normal; you won't be inheriting any any xforms (freezing xforms iirc basically parents the obj to the root/world, which is why you will see the xforms relative to the root node if you switch to world
I also added empty expressions on the translateY and translateZ parameters for the mover so that you won't be able to accidentally move in in those directions and also made them non-keyable. Just for fun.
iirc = 'if I remember correctly'
Hope this helps, have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.