Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsi_fanatic » 03 Apr 2013, 20:21

Hi guys,

Here's a funny story...

So I'm a former subscription member, which grants me the access to SI 2012.5 also know as the SAP. However when I log in to my account and head to the download section, I only get download access to SI 2012 SP1. The same applies to downloading previous versions such as SI 2011, and 2010. All access are for SP1 only. And when I file a case to Autodesk, the guy literally dodges me and tells me to go to the forums at the Autodesk webpage. When I go there, Softimage is not even in the highlights, you'd have to look for it. After finding it, you only find one post saying that SI users should go to the Area Autodesk website forums as the Autodesk Forums is no longer active. As frustrated as I already am and feel like breaking my keyboard, I find it ridiculous that I have to look for SI 2012.5 SAP through sites like (...).

Unfortunately, the only SI 2012 SAP pack I could find requires you to burn it onto a DVD. I'd rather have the downloadable version that can be installed directly from within your computer. If any body has access to that, I would appreciate it if you could take the time to upload it onto a server for me.

Why do I even waste my money with Autodoesn't ??? They reak of mismanagement !!!! X(

Moderator edit: (...) inserted, please don't mention illegal means - HB

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by EricTRocks » 03 Apr 2013, 21:03

From my understanding of Subscription, you only have access to the SAP and previous versions while on an active Subscription not one that has lapsed.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsi_fanatic » 03 Apr 2013, 22:03

OMG !!! Autodesk really knows how to piss people off !! X(

Bellsey
Posts: 688
Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 09:50
Location: London, UnitedKingdom

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by Bellsey » 03 Apr 2013, 22:31

I'm a little confused, if you burn the SAP to a disc with some kind of image or ISO file, then that will probably make the install executables available to copy off the disc?

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsi_fanatic » 04 Apr 2013, 01:08

Hi Bellsey,

Yes, according to what the (...) description file says, I have to burn it to a DVD disc first as an image or ISO file, then install it from the physical disc.

Btw, can you confirm if what EricTRocks said is true ? That I have to be subscribed to get access to the SAP version ??

Moderator edit: (...) inserted, please don't mention illegal means - HB

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by Rork » 04 Apr 2013, 08:32

One more reason to use some HD space to save your previous installs. Just in case......
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Apr 2013, 09:05

xsi_fanatic wrote:Btw, can you confirm if what EricTRocks said is true ? That I have to be subscribed to get access to the SAP version ??
I sincerely doubt so, but stranger things have happened in the wonderful world of Autodesk. If I were you, I would restate my claim with "Subscription Account Help". It's silly/typical that Autodesk sends you to their forums for something they should answer directly.

But as the SAP is the version/upgrade you last legally "obtained" (by means of being on Subscription, but not being a "Ancillary Product" or "Ancillary Service", it being made available being a "Subscription Benefit", but after that "technically" (AFAIK) becoming an "Upgrade"), my gut feeling says they should still provide you with a means to legally download it. But my gut has been known to be wrong, especially where Autodesk is concerned...
:ymsick:

Maybe this little FAQ could help shed some light on the (definitions of the) issue...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsisupport » 04 Apr 2013, 10:45

I say you no longer have access to the SAP, because advantage packs are a Subscription benefit and access to subscription benefits is limited to customers with active Subscription. Active being the keyword.

I did check with @AutodeskHelp, and they say the same thing as me.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Apr 2013, 10:50

Hmm, I stand corrected then...
I really would have thought it to be treated as a full upgrade
after being made available as a "benefit".
Ah well, live and learn.

Does this mean you can't even technically use the SAP after you "dropped" Subscription,
even if it was the last version available during your Subscription?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsisupport » 04 Apr 2013, 12:12

Hirazi Blue wrote:Hmm, I stand corrected then...
I really would have thought it to be treated as a full upgrade
after being made available as a "benefit".
Ah well, live and learn.

Does this mean you can't even technically use the SAP after you "dropped" Subscription,
even if it was the last version available during your Subscription?
I don't think an extension (formerly know as advantage pack) is the same thing as an upgrade.

An upgrade is a commercial release of the software that enhances or improves the software and for which Autodesk normally charges a fee.

Edit: Remove the double negative from the first sentence.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsi_fanatic » 05 Apr 2013, 05:44

xsisupport wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:Hmm, I stand corrected then...
I really would have thought it to be treated as a full upgrade
after being made available as a "benefit".
Ah well, live and learn.

Does this mean you can't even technically use the SAP after you "dropped" Subscription,
even if it was the last version available during your Subscription?
I don't think an extension (formerly know as advantage pack) is the same thing as an upgrade.

An upgrade is a commercial release of the software that enhances or improves the software and for which Autodesk normally charges a fee.

Edit: Remove the double negative from the first sentence.
Steve,

Thank you for the info. Believe it or not I was hoping you might answer this question. Thanks.

It's to see Autodesk's treatment. I know a lot of 3DMax users are also complaining about the prices and their ridiculous treatment. Sigh... oh well :(


EDIT: Steve not Stephen, sorry for the mispelling.

User avatar
xsi_fanatic
Posts: 283
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by xsi_fanatic » 05 Apr 2013, 05:49

This is really sad guys. I was also surprised when I learned that I cannot legally use Softimage outside of North America. I own Adobe Production Premium CS4 and there's no regional restriction as to where you could use it. You own it and take it with you wherever the hell you want. You'd think the same applies to Autodesk products, but no sir, you literally have to sit down and read the End User License Agreement word for word. So you're practically renting your license FOREVER !! You can't even sell it to someone else if you're done with it.

Nice going AD, I see a lot of bad karma building up.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by Rork » 05 Apr 2013, 07:38

You own it and take it with you wherever the hell you want.
Technically, being the Devil's Advocate here, almost ALL EULA's talk about the 'usage' of the software, not owning it. The person or company who coded it will always be the actual owner.
For some odd reason someone at one point thought this would be a good idea, and everybody followed with it.

It's more like a lease, you can use it while you pay for it. After that, in a lot of cases, you're basically squatting ;-)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

iamVFX
Posts: 697
Joined: 24 Sep 2010, 16:28

Re: Where to download 2012.5 SAP ???

Post by iamVFX » 05 Apr 2013, 08:05

Rork wrote:
You own it and take it with you wherever the hell you want.
Technically, being the Devil's Advocate here, almost ALL EULA's talk about the 'usage' of the software, not owning it. The person or company who coded it will always be the actual owner.
For some odd reason someone at one point thought this would be a good idea, and everybody followed with it.

It's more like a lease, you can use it while you pay for it. After that, in a lot of cases, you're basically squatting ;-)
It will make more sense when AD packages will be offloaded to the cloud.

Rork is right, you can own only your hardware and some open source software.