Animate Exchange of Material

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Animate Exchange of Material

Post by Frank1000 » 28 Mar 2013, 21:14

Hi,
is there a way to completely exchange the material of an object from frame to frame ... maybe something like creating a list of materials that defines the sequence of exchange ?

Frank

EricTRocks
Moderator
Posts: 754
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 00:41

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by EricTRocks » 28 Mar 2013, 21:21

Maybe if you're assigning materials through ICE you can create an array and iterate through it by frame #?
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by angus_davidson » 28 Mar 2013, 21:47

First question that comes to mind is over how many frames does this change occur, and is it just a texture change or something more complex?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by Frank1000 » 28 Mar 2013, 23:13

ya ICE sure is a solution that matches for almost everything, only I don't know how to do it.

Regarding exchanges, I wanted to exchange the whole material probably 10-20 frames long. I know I could make clones and make a hide animation, but thought maybe someone knows what the script command would be or so.

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by angus_davidson » 29 Mar 2013, 07:45

Frank1000 wrote:ya ICE sure is a solution that matches for almost everything, only I don't know how to do it.
And this is what ADSK needs to understand is that not all folks want to go the ICE route to get things done.
Frank1000 wrote: Regarding exchanges, I wanted to exchange the whole material probably 10-20 frames long. I know I could make clones and make a hide animation, but thought maybe someone knows what the script command would be or so.
If its just a straight texture change you can use a texture sequence. We have done that before for one of our student pieces That way you only need to have one clone hide operation. If your referencing in the models and just changing the textures in the main scene using clones wont slow the scene down significantly.
For simple tasks sometimes its just easier to get it done manually.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Frank1000
Posts: 349
Joined: 16 Oct 2011, 12:13
Skype: the2he

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by Frank1000 » 29 Mar 2013, 09:40

ya ICE is cool but needs a lot of use and understanding to handle it. for my case at the moment texture sequence may really the best bet. I use hide ani then where i have a really different material.

Frank

NNois
Posts: 754
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33

Re: Animate Exchange of Material

Post by NNois » 29 Mar 2013, 09:56

if it's on different shaders/materials you could use the Color_MultiSwitch node to switch values per frames