Is it just me or is XSI's viewport performance for animation playback rather slow in general? I can never get the viewport to go past 20 FPS for playback, which is extremely annoying.
I've been working with both the Malcolm rig http://www.animschool.com/DownloadOffer.aspx
and the AREA autodesk rigs: http://area.autodesk.com/contest
And in both cases in-viewport performance isn't terrible...but it isn't ideal, buttery-smooth 60fps with no dropped frames either. (Readout shows me 20 FPS average when I set a 60 FPS rate, which is kinda...bad) it's almost impossible to animate finer details without doing a viewport capture and then going off there. Which I hope isn't just a matter of hardware, because I can actually handle more complex scenes in Maya with less slowdown.
But of course...Sys specs! Just in case it really is related to something:
- i5-2500k (quad-core/quad thread 3.3 Ghz /3.7 Turbo)
- 16 GB RAM
- GTX 560 Ti 4 GB vRAM
And on my laptop (which actually performs slightly, barest-of-teeniest-benchmarks worse):
- i7-3630QM (Quad core/8 thread 2.4 GHz / 3.4 Turbo)
- 24 GB RAM
- Quadro k2000m 2GB vRAM
The funny thing is, in both cases scene interaction is actually blinding fast, with no slowdown whatsoever. So I'm not sure if it's just me having certain settings funny or something like that.
Anyone who can offer any tips on animating higher-poly models /complex rigs in XSI while managing to get 1:1 playback performance, would you mind sharing your expertise to a novice animator? I'm very much interested in making sure my skills in XSI for animating are up to scratch, especially since I've been animating in Maya for school projects for a while now and I'd like to be able to work on my own projects in XSI.
Thanks!






