Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
I know was debated before, but now there is new VGA released by Nvidia and AMD and only now I need to upgrade my card...
So, anyone has advice about a video card to buy? I'm oriented on AMD gaming card.
So, anyone has advice about a video card to buy? I'm oriented on AMD gaming card.
-
doca
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Feb 2011, 13:45
- Location: Beograd, Srbija
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Hi. As it is mentioned in some forums, nVidia is forcing you to get professional quadro cards by degrading some performances (from XSI user pov-degrading openGL performance). How they do that, I dont know, but I can tell you my experience few days before. I have tested nVidia gtx 680, nVidia gtx 570 and 4 of 5 years old nVidia gtx 285. I have them all, currently in my working machine 680, and in my secondary machines later two gtx-s. Even now, 285 is outperforming 570 and 680 in viewport performances. Not too much, about 3-5% in cinebench, but that is about 5 years old card. Maybe even more, cant remember. Also, seems to me that working in xsi is more comfortable with 285.
I can speak only about nVidia graphics, as I dont have ATI. Currently, it is very hard to find well balanced gaming card for work, and I am very unhappy with gtx680.
But, at the end, why dont we make one xsi test scene, to get results from various cards, and to find out what is the ultimative XSI graphic card, both professional and gaming cards.
I can speak only about nVidia graphics, as I dont have ATI. Currently, it is very hard to find well balanced gaming card for work, and I am very unhappy with gtx680.
But, at the end, why dont we make one xsi test scene, to get results from various cards, and to find out what is the ultimative XSI graphic card, both professional and gaming cards.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Code: Select all
ImportModel("C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\Softimage 2013 SP1\\Data\\XSI_SAMPLES\\Models\\Characters\\XSI_Man_Armored.emdl", null, null, null, null, null, null);
SelectObj("XSI_Man_Armored.Body", null, true);
ApplyTopoOp("MeshLocalSubdivision", "XSI_Man_Armored.Body.poly[*]", 3, siPersistentOperation, null);
SetValue("XSI_Man_Armored.Body.polymsh.meshlocalsubdivisionop.subdivisionlevel", 3, null);
SetValue("Camera.camvis.refreshrate", true, null);
SelectObj("XSI_Man_Armored.Body", null, true);
ActivateRaycastPolySelTool(null);
SetDisplayMode("Camera", "textured");
SelectAllUsingFilter("Polygon", siCheckComponentVisibility, null, null);15 fps unsubdivided (1 mil polygons) with all polygons selected (subcomponent highlighting which draws very slow in softimage)
60 fps unsubdivided without selection
2 fps subdivided (4 mil polygons) all polygons selected
45 fps subdivided, when all objects are unselected
GTX 460
10 fps unsubdivided, all polys selected
60 fps unsubdivided, no selection
1 fps subdivided, all polys selected
30 fps subdivided, no selection
*edit: sorry should have clarified - framerate is with with full model in view, and viewport orbiting, so the envelope doesn't have an influence
Last edited by rray on 20 Mar 2013, 09:27, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: update
Reason: update
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
doca
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 21 Feb 2011, 13:45
- Location: Beograd, Srbija
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Thanks rray! Your scene is as script opens it, with only legs visible, isn't it? And only hit "play", just to be clear?
Can I ask, what dll you patched and why?
Gigabyte GTX 680/ intel i7-930
12.5 fps
23 fps
3.2 fps
8.5 fps
Gainward GTX 285/ intel i7-2600k
12.5 fps
20.5 fps
3.7 fps
9 fps
Can I ask, what dll you patched and why?
Gigabyte GTX 680/ intel i7-930
12.5 fps
23 fps
3.2 fps
8.5 fps
Gainward GTX 285/ intel i7-2600k
12.5 fps
20.5 fps
3.7 fps
9 fps
-
sonictk
- Posts: 124
- Joined: 04 Jan 2012, 03:01
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Since we're comparing our d**k sizes here
Just wanted to pipe in and say that Quadro isn't always necessarily better...but I would stick with NVIDIA because of CUDA and PhysX...
Quadro k2000M (i7 3630 QM, 24 GB RAM)
~15 FPS (no subD, unselected)
~10 FPS (no subD, selected)
~ 0.2 FPS (subD lv 1, unselected)
~ 0.1 FPS (subD lv1, all selected) (actually much slower, but 0.1 is the lowest the readout will go
)
Worth mentioning: my GTX 560Ti on my main rig (i5-2500k, 16 GB RAM) actually outperforms the Quadro by quite a bit (almost a factor of two), which I think is hilarious, all things considered.
However, that being said, I can actually paint with my Quadro in Mudbox at full texture resolution, on multiple 16bpp layers with zero/little slowdown, whereas on my GeForce, everything slows down to a crawl after a certain point and I am forced to merge my layers in order to get usable performance. Perhaps it's also on the part of the XSI viewport in dire need of some performance improvements as well...
I dunno, I was expecting like a MILLION FPS when I bought this thing, but alas. Also i should mention that swapping between subD levels took like an supremely-long amount of time as well, and switching beyond subD 2 for the man actually crashed XSI.
I should import one of my old environment scenes and have a HQV test of that.
Quadro k2000M (i7 3630 QM, 24 GB RAM)
~15 FPS (no subD, unselected)
~10 FPS (no subD, selected)
~ 0.2 FPS (subD lv 1, unselected)
~ 0.1 FPS (subD lv1, all selected) (actually much slower, but 0.1 is the lowest the readout will go
Worth mentioning: my GTX 560Ti on my main rig (i5-2500k, 16 GB RAM) actually outperforms the Quadro by quite a bit (almost a factor of two), which I think is hilarious, all things considered.
However, that being said, I can actually paint with my Quadro in Mudbox at full texture resolution, on multiple 16bpp layers with zero/little slowdown, whereas on my GeForce, everything slows down to a crawl after a certain point and I am forced to merge my layers in order to get usable performance. Perhaps it's also on the part of the XSI viewport in dire need of some performance improvements as well...
I dunno, I was expecting like a MILLION FPS when I bought this thing, but alas. Also i should mention that swapping between subD levels took like an supremely-long amount of time as well, and switching beyond subD 2 for the man actually crashed XSI.
I should import one of my old environment scenes and have a HQV test of that.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
I remember this cropping up on the the xsibase forum. There's one big question here:
Why is rray's 670 way faster than doca's 680?
That makes no sense. Are the top end cards hobbled more than low end cards? Is there something else wrong? Is there a setting that makes the difference? This is a mystery...
I remember in xsibase my 470 way outperformed a 480 at the time. Same issue.
Why is rray's 670 way faster than doca's 680?
That makes no sense. Are the top end cards hobbled more than low end cards? Is there something else wrong? Is there a setting that makes the difference? This is a mystery...
I remember in xsibase my 470 way outperformed a 480 at the time. Same issue.
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
you have influence of cpu in this scene as well with all envelopes to be processed. there is older scene that more suits pure GPU performance.
actualy I think that was back on xsibased... here is script:
Application.CreatePrim("Cube", "MeshSurface", "", "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivu", 831, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivv", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivbase", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("Camera.camvis.refreshrate", True, "")
Application.SetDisplayMode("Camera", "shaded")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Out", 5000, "")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.GetPrim("Null", "", "", "")
Application.SelectObj("Camera_Root", "", "")
Application.CopyPaste("Camera_Root", "", "null", 1)
Application.SelectObj("null", "", "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 1, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Key", 5000, "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Current", 5000, "")
Application.Rotate("", 0, 8000, 0, "siAbsolute", "siPivot", "siObj", "siY", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", 0, "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 5000, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.FirstFrame()
And results with 7970:
Shaded: 160 fps
Wire: 120 fps
With some older version of drivers I had up to 175 fps in shaded and with just a bit OC can easily push to 200 fps in shaded.
Problem with gtx580 was that once started play first it would stick at around 17 fps for 30-40sec and only after that it could up to 60-70 if I remember correctly. WOuld be great to see updated results with some of never cards as well.
actualy I think that was back on xsibased... here is script:
Application.CreatePrim("Cube", "MeshSurface", "", "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivu", 831, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivv", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("cube.polymsh.geom.subdivbase", 800, "")
Application.SetValue("Camera.camvis.refreshrate", True, "")
Application.SetDisplayMode("Camera", "shaded")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Out", 5000, "")
Application.DeselectAll()
Application.GetPrim("Null", "", "", "")
Application.SelectObj("Camera_Root", "", "")
Application.CopyPaste("Camera_Root", "", "null", 1)
Application.SelectObj("null", "", "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 1, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Key", 5000, "")
Application.SetValue("PlayControl.Current", 5000, "")
Application.Rotate("", 0, 8000, 0, "siAbsolute", "siPivot", "siObj", "siY", "", "", "", "", "", "", "", 0, "")
Application.SaveKey("null.kine.local.rotx,null.kine.local.roty,null.kine.local.rotz", 5000, "", "", "", "", "")
Application.FirstFrame()
And results with 7970:
Shaded: 160 fps
Wire: 120 fps
With some older version of drivers I had up to 175 fps in shaded and with just a bit OC can easily push to 200 fps in shaded.
Problem with gtx580 was that once started play first it would stick at around 17 fps for 30-40sec and only after that it could up to 60-70 if I remember correctly. WOuld be great to see updated results with some of never cards as well.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
mircoj wrote:you have influence of cpu in this scene as well with all envelopes to be processed. there is older scene that more suits pure GPU performance.
actualy I think that was back on xsibased... here is script:
Sorry I meant orbiting because with play the envelope does have an influence. I didn't use the cube scene because I looked for something with a texture. I patched mentalray.dll, Softimage crashed on startup, before showing the viewports, without that patch.doca wrote:Thanks rray! Your scene is as script opens it, with only legs visible, isn't it? And only hit "play", just to be clear? Can I ask, what dll you patched and why?
To get back more on topic, can anybody test this with an ATI?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
now it is more clear )
ati hd7970
orbiting with everything visible in view unselected: ~88 fps
geometry selected object mode: ~60 fps
geometry component mode: 8.6 fps
subdiv (once right?)
orbiting with everything visible in view unselected: ~82 fps
geometry selected object mode: ~30 fps
geometry component mode: 0.8 fps
body head and gun from geometry selected.
ati hd7970
orbiting with everything visible in view unselected: ~88 fps
geometry selected object mode: ~60 fps
geometry component mode: 8.6 fps
subdiv (once right?)
orbiting with everything visible in view unselected: ~82 fps
geometry selected object mode: ~30 fps
geometry component mode: 0.8 fps
body head and gun from geometry selected.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
So, seems ATI 7970 wins these round. Actually the price seems nice, 350 € for a model with 3gb
A shame these card are not useful for gpu rendering.
A shame these card are not useful for gpu rendering.
-
mirkoj
- Posts: 205
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:26
- Skype: mirko-jankovic
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
yea shame that new Redshift renderer is still not supporting opencl.
When and hopefully it will once it will be no brainer to think what will be your next card for SI.
btw would be grat if someone with some firepro series card do this test as well. Still wondering if there would be some performance gain
with for example w7000. That one seems to have pretty nice price but would it be faster than 7970?
When and hopefully it will once it will be no brainer to think what will be your next card for SI.
btw would be grat if someone with some firepro series card do this test as well. Still wondering if there would be some performance gain
with for example w7000. That one seems to have pretty nice price but would it be faster than 7970?
-
origin
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:59
- Location: warsaw
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
I have selection lag with ati 7870...
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Not a good news...origin wrote:I have selection lag with ati 7870...
I don't use at all HQV, but how ATI will perform under HQV environment?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
I don't think it's too fair to expect that at this point. Developing for 1 platform would be hard enough and from what Luceric and others have said, opencl is a mess right now, way behind cuda. So until that gets straightened out, I wouldn't expect to see it.mirkoj wrote:yea shame that new Redshift renderer is still not supporting opencl.
-
Nizar
- Posts: 725
- Joined: 30 May 2010, 20:54
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
yes but a quadro look like very too expensive to be honest...
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Best Video card for the best viewport perfomance
Using rray's script in a GTX 470 I got these results:
GTX 470
18 fps unsubdivided, all polys selected
24 fps unsubdivided, no selection
6 fps subdivided, all polys selected
14 fps subdivided, no selection
Then a strange thing happened. After I subdivided and tested, I un-subdivided and it went from 24fpx to 45fps!
Results are very inconsistent for all modes. It's all over the board depending on what you do first.
GTX 470
18 fps unsubdivided, all polys selected
24 fps unsubdivided, no selection
6 fps subdivided, all polys selected
14 fps subdivided, no selection
Then a strange thing happened. After I subdivided and tested, I un-subdivided and it went from 24fpx to 45fps!
Results are very inconsistent for all modes. It's all over the board depending on what you do first.