NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

New plugins, tools etc.
Paulrus
Posts: 67
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41

NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Paulrus » 18 Mar 2013, 19:05

I've been following this project for quite a while. It's a very nice little modeler that was built to please the Silo crowd. Originally it was called VoidWorld, but it's since been renamed NVil (anvil).

For the longest time it was available for free as a beta, but he's now selling it.... for $79.

http://digitalfossils.com/

Head to the forums for more info: http://voidworld.cmcproductions.co.uk/

Overall it's very fast, and does exactly what a modeler should do. The developer reminds me a lot of Andrew Shpagin the developer of 3D Coat, in that he is extremely quick to reply to feature requests and releases several updates per month.

User avatar
TwinSnakes007
Posts: 316
Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 18 Mar 2013, 21:07

I d/l and played with it a bit. Why should I pay for this when Blender is free?

Paulrus
Posts: 67
Joined: 09 Aug 2009, 09:41

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Paulrus » 19 Mar 2013, 12:14

Well, as I said, NVil was created for people who were using Silo and were disappointed in how it stopped being developed. It has a 3DCoat connection, so you can use NVil for the base mesh and 3DC for sculpting & painting.

Plus, it's $79, which is less than most plugins for Softimage.

As far as why to use it versus Blender, that's a bit of a non sequitur. You could ask the same question about anything. Why pay for Softimage when you can get Blender for free? Why pay for any 3D software when you can get Blender for free?

I tend to want to support new projects from small developers. It ensures there's at least a few options other than Autodesk.

-Paul

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Sep 2013, 12:31

TwinSnakes007 wrote:I d/l and played with it a bit. Why should I pay for this when Blender is free?
Because:
It is very intelligently coded
It is incredible easy to learn and comfortable to use
digital fossils really seem to know what they are doing
It has a very tight 3d coat "integration" (link)
These guys work really hard on it
It's what I hoped modo will be in terms of modelling, but without modo ;)


I'm buying it today after playing with it half an hour. Nvil, 3dcoat and blender on a stick, and I have anything I need when I have to work in max or maya companies and don't want to carry my SI license around.
I'm now part of an endangered species...

SreckoM
Posts: 187
Joined: 24 Jul 2010, 22:18
Skype: srecko.micic

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by SreckoM » 03 Sep 2013, 13:11

I dislike few things that are keeping me from investing $ into it:

1. still just 32bit
2. only win version
3. written in c#
4. one developer (not sure if this is still case)
- H -

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Sep 2013, 14:08

SreckoM wrote:I dislike few things that are keeping me from investing $ into it:

1. still just 32bit
2. only win version
3. written in c#
4. one developer (not sure if this is still case)
MoI is also one dev and 32 bit, but I made a lot of money with it, much more (in relation) than with most 10 times as expensive 64 bit apps. It's not intended to replace my other tools but rather complement them.

Also I really want to encourage digital fossils to keep up their work and since I've got my whole subscription budget to spend this year to spend elsewhere, I thought they deserved it. :)
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Nox
Posts: 108
Joined: 16 Apr 2013, 11:28

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Nox » 03 Sep 2013, 14:20

Comparing it to Silo is like comparing Matiz with Maserati. :ymdevil:

Lord Futzi Voldemort
Posts: 440
Joined: 06 Jun 2009, 12:01

Re: NVil (aka VoidWorld) modeler now shipping

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 03 Sep 2013, 14:27

Nox wrote:Comparing it to Silo is like comparing Matiz with Maserati. :ymdevil:
Best not to compare it at all ;)
Just check if or what it can do for you.
I'm now part of an endangered species...