Usually I work alone, but for a animation project, me and another guy are thinking of doing a team animation. However, as I have no experience in working with XSI on a collaboration basis, I'd like to ask:
- What best practices are there for collaborating on an animation with multiple characters interacting with each other in a single scene? How would two people (or more) be able to work on the same scene at the same time, assuming we had to be able to view and animate each other's characters at the same time, along with other environment assets that would be constantly updated?
- Would we use action sources/referenced models (i.e. each of us works on our own referenced model and exports its animation as an action source, which is then referenced into a 3rd scene file with the environment and lighting that would act as the 'final' scene to be rendered. Right now this is what I have in mind, since it would allow us to work in tandem with each other using version control instead of having to wait for one person to finish their edits to the scene before passing it to the other person. (Do referenced models store action sources as well as animation?) Also, if we were using referenced models, would we be able to say, animate that model with an environment, but leave out the environment when updating the model automatically without having to go in and delete the environment each time? I have very little idea as to how team production in XSI should be done, sorry if this sounds really dumb.
- Alternatively, would we be able to animate seperate .scn files, each with our own character in them, and merge them at the end for the final render scene? The main drawback here that I can imagine would be that we have no idea of how our animations look together until the very end, and then we would have the same issue of having only one person being able to work on the scene at a time again.
Anyone who uses XSI in a production or a team-based environment, please lend your expertise!