Multicore FG map generation

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
theboykidney
Posts: 38
Joined: 11 Jul 2012, 17:01

Multicore FG map generation

Post by theboykidney » 14 Mar 2013, 21:09

I'm trying to generate some FG maps, and before when I was testing it was using all cores - multiple buckets - to generate the map, but for some reason on the same file its now generating the map with only 1 bucket/core.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a setting for this. Any ideas?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: Multicore FG map generation

Post by xsisupport » 14 Mar 2013, 23:04

theboykidney wrote:I'm trying to generate some FG maps, and before when I was testing it was using all cores - multiple buckets - to generate the map, but for some reason on the same file its now generating the map with only 1 bucket/core.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a setting for this. Any ideas?
Softimage version please?

At one point, there was an issue with FG in append mode using just one core.
I can't remember if it was fixed, or if it was, when.
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

theboykidney
Posts: 38
Joined: 11 Jul 2012, 17:01

Re: Multicore FG map generation

Post by theboykidney » 15 Mar 2013, 00:35

Hey Steve,
2012. And yes, it is in append mode.

related Q while I have your attention:
is it ok to have multiple machines writing to a single fg map in append? or is it only for a single workstation writing to a file?

thanks a lot.