How to create a new custom render channel

Discussions about rendering in SOFTIMAGE©
gfxman
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14

How to create a new custom render channel

Post by gfxman » 07 Mar 2013, 15:35

Hi there,
i have a simple(?) question!
I would like to create a custom render channel, that should be always available in all my scenes.
This render channell would be a normalized motion vector pass, for rendering 2d motion blur in after effects.
The idea is to avoid rendering a second pass just for the normalized motion vector.
Is it possibile?

I can't use the raw motion vector pass from mental ray in after effect + reel smart motion blur, i tried to normalize in the adobe application, but i failed.
So, is there a way to create a custom render channel, with my shader, and make it available in all the passes ?

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: How to create a new custom render channel

Post by xsisupport » 07 Mar 2013, 17:20

The documentation explainshow to create custom render channels.

Or do you already know that and you are asking "how to do it in every scene" ?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

gfxman
Posts: 92
Joined: 28 Mar 2011, 13:14

Re: How to create a new custom render channel

Post by gfxman » 07 Mar 2013, 19:05

xsisupport wrote:The documentation explainshow to create custom render channels.

Or do you already know that and you are asking "how to do it in every scene" ?
Hi Stephen ( i follow you on xsi-support, great work!).
I already know that method. Or maybe i'm doing something wrong.
I create a pass with the lm2dmv to create the normalized motion vector pass.
I use the "store color in channel" to create a new buffer i call it " my_motion_vector"
Then in my beauty pass i add the in the render channel output " my_motion_vector".
That image results completly black..

i made an image to explain better myself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
xsisupport
Posts: 713
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 09:02
Location: Montreal Canada

Re: How to create a new custom render channel

Post by xsisupport » 07 Mar 2013, 19:43

I got it to work doing pretty much the same thing. But isn't that lm2dmv shader really old? I had some weird behavior (in one pass, the Main channel wouldn't render).
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage