Hanging strands?

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
NightroadAX
Posts: 19
Joined: 16 Nov 2010, 03:23

Hanging strands?

Post by NightroadAX » 02 Mar 2013, 04:12

Hey guys, I'm using this tutorial here: http://caffeineabuse.blogspot.com/2013/ ... erent.html
to create strands between multiple points. How would I go about making a controllable amount of slack in the strands?
I'm hoping to get something a bit like the 24-second mark in this video:http://vimeo.com/23902379
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by druitre » 02 Mar 2013, 15:30

Do you know Fabricio Chamon compounds? He did one called 'ageing cobwebs' (or so I think it's called) that has such a control. You should be able to look in that one to figure out how it can be done.

Good luck!

fabricio.chamon
Posts: 94
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:47

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by fabricio.chamon » 04 Mar 2013, 21:50

Here you go:

profile 0 -> 1 = first to last strand offset multiplier.

compound: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17263464/ICE/O ... Fcurve.rar
image: Image

User avatar
druitre
Posts: 471
Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by druitre » 05 Mar 2013, 09:47

Ha! That's who I meant!

Hello Fabricio :) (btw, your cobwebscompound has been useful to me in the past, thanks)

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 11:01

Is it possible to connect to other strand?

Reason is if necessary to cut. I think it is only possible to cut by strand extremities, so where two strands connect maybe it is possible to happen a cut.

fabricio.chamon
Posts: 94
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 21:47

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by fabricio.chamon » 05 Mar 2013, 15:50

druitre wrote:Ha! That's who I meant!

Hello Fabricio :) (btw, your cobwebscompound has been useful to me in the past, thanks)
Hi Druitre thanks for the pointer. Good to hear you have been using those compounds...
Maybe I will find some time to update, it could run a lot faster.

@Bullit: yes you can choose random strand segments on another points to connect to. Here is some experiment:

scene:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17263464/ICE/s ... ctions.rar
image:
Image

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 18:04

Thanks.

NightroadAX
Posts: 19
Joined: 16 Nov 2010, 03:23

Re: Hanging strands?

Post by NightroadAX » 01 Apr 2013, 19:18

Very cool, thanks, it's just what I was aiming for! Will dig through it to learn more :)