Deform mesh in area

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Falam

Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 27 Feb 2013, 05:07

Image
I'm leaning towards this is impossible. I want the object on the left to deform when it makes contact with the object on the right, only the area in makes contact with, creating a accordion type effect, while keeping hard edges ?

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Pancho » 27 Feb 2013, 09:22

Why do you think this impossible? What have you tried so far?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Bullit » 27 Feb 2013, 09:43

Deformation is possible but the accordion effect would be more complex. Maybe using a weightmap to restrict the deformable area with volume preservation? But either way you'll need a much dense mesh there.

Falam

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 27 Feb 2013, 14:37

Bullit wrote:Deformation is possible but the accordion effect would be more complex. Maybe using a weightmap to restrict the deformable area with volume preservation? But either way you'll need a much dense mesh there.
The dense mesh I understand. I created a weight map where I want the accordion effect to happen. Identical to this, so it's clearly understood :)

Image

When the weight map/objects makes contact with the other object the weighted area creates an accordion effect, when it doesn't make contact it stretches out. I've done very little, yet in terms of an ICE tree. Mostly played with 'get closest location' on the weight map, nothing worth anything.

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by dwigfor » 28 Feb 2013, 14:53

Maybe try that fstretch compound. You'll have to search for it. Great video on vimeo.

Falam

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 28 Feb 2013, 15:23

dwigfor wrote:Maybe try that fstretch compound. You'll have to search for it. Great video on vimeo.
Can anyone verify if this is the video for the compound, cause there is a difference in the name from what I have to the name in the video, they don't look the same ?

User avatar
csaez
Posts: 253
Joined: 09 Jul 2012, 13:31
Skype: csaezmargotta
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by csaez » 28 Feb 2013, 16:16

Don't know about the compound but maybe this helps :)
https://www.si-community.com/forum/v ... 551#p20551

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by dwigfor » 28 Feb 2013, 21:33

The original discussion of fstretch like deformation was on xsibase. Do a search on rray.de for fstretch to see what I was talking about.

Falam

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 01 Mar 2013, 05:09

cseaz - it helps, just putting it together, right :)

Update: This is what I've done, it doesn't work, but hopefully someone can correct me :)
I created two ICE trees, placed one in the modeler stack the other in the animation stack. The model stack ICE tree (both non-simulated) had the 'tension from' compound hooked to the tree, the animation stack ICE tree had the 'tension to' compound hooked to a setData.weightmap then into the ICE tree. I don't know where the 'smart deformations' compound belongs ?

Falam

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 03 Mar 2013, 01:37

The tension maps relies on the scale of the object, not the translation.

Falam

Re: Deform mesh in area

Post by Falam » 11 Mar 2013, 00:17

The tension maps are good, except I want thinking about using syflex as things have changed a little. I have two objects, one is the child of the parent. When the parent moves the child moves along, but the child will collide with another object, and that is when the tension should work identical to an accordion, contract and expand.