Normal / Bump Replacement
-
Falam
Normal / Bump Replacement
This is a awesome shader I came across, unfortunately it's only available for Maya as I was told directly from Stefan
It would be nice if this could be written for Mental Ray and Softimage

-
forton
- Posts: 210
- Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 16:57
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
He says it's implemented for mental ray, wouldn't that work in softimage then?
I think it's the same shader that exist for lightwave, a guy named Denis Pontonnier implemented a series of renderman shaders into nodes for Lightwave http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugi ... des_2.html, making lightwave renderer from basic to pretty advanced for it's time.
Some of these I would love to see in mentalray!
P.S. I think the code is freely available, could someone please...? ;)
I think it's the same shader that exist for lightwave, a guy named Denis Pontonnier implemented a series of renderman shaders into nodes for Lightwave http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugi ... des_2.html, making lightwave renderer from basic to pretty advanced for it's time.
Some of these I would love to see in mentalray!
P.S. I think the code is freely available, could someone please...? ;)
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
That would probably be easy to pack for SI, sadly it's not public.
There's the 'parallax' shader by Ben Rogall but it's 32 bit only.
out of options...
There's the 'parallax' shader by Ben Rogall but it's 32 bit only.
out of options...
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
The version downloaded directly from Ben Rogall's site
seems to include 64 bit dlls as opposed to the one in the rray.de local backup.
Haven't tested this shader myself, though.
;)
seems to include 64 bit dlls as opposed to the one in the rray.de local backup.
Haven't tested this shader myself, though.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Ah missed that one. He 'advertises' it as slower than displacement, but that's with shadows it seems. Without self shadowing it should be faster.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Falam
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Maybe I'm missing somethingThis can achieve displacement-like effects, except at the edges of an object ?
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
It does parallax mapping (see his site) which shifts surface details around instead of just modifying the shading. The shader you discovered does modify the relief in addition, which is even one step cooler.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Falam
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Can we get that one extra step cooler ?rray wrote:It does parallax mapping (see his site) which shifts surface details around instead of just modifying the shading. The shader you discovered does modify the relief in addition, which is even one step cooler.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
I don't think so, unless Ben's shader does that already (Which I guess it doesn't, but not sure)
Let us know if you get some nice results out of it )
Let us know if you get some nice results out of it )
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Falam
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Will do, I hope I dorray wrote:I don't think so, unless Ben's shader does that already (Which I guess it doesn't, but not sure)
Let us know if you get some nice results out of it )
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Relief mapping shader information.
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... ter08.html
I love reading the GPU Gems books. So much information.
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGem ... ter08.html
I love reading the GPU Gems books. So much information.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
BenR
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
I haven't thought about that shader in a long time. I wonder if it will work with recent versions of Soft. Anyway, the algorithm I implemented uses ray-marching to find the intersection point ("steep parallax mapping"). This should provide the same results as the relief mapping algorithms, which I believe is a synonym. The GPU Gems article that Daniel referenced is really interesting. It includes a method of improving efficiency using distance maps and "sphere tracing" which I was not aware of. It's interesting that all of these methods were developed with real-time rendering in mind.
Ben
Ben
-
Falam
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Maybe you can help me Ben or someone canBenR wrote:I haven't thought about that shader in a long time. I wonder if it will work with recent versions of Soft. Anyway, the algorithm I implemented uses ray-marching to find the intersection point ("steep parallax mapping"). This should provide the same results as the relief mapping algorithms, which I believe is a synonym. The GPU Gems article that Daniel referenced is really interesting. It includes a method of improving efficiency using distance maps and "sphere tracing" which I was not aware of. It's interesting that all of these methods were developed with real-time rendering in mind.
Ben

The shader is not working, rather it's rendering my object completely black ?
Daniel - Sorry if I'm mis-understanding, is that link you posted similar in how it displaces geometry to the link I had originally posted ? One of the issues I have with Normal Mapping is AA, what Stefan produced which is only a maya shader is breathless, not quite sure I understand the technology behind it, it is effective for Mental Ray. Although if you are using a RenderMan compliant render which I also use, displacements can be just as fast. I don't know how to write Renderman shaders, and the tools that are available that are good and free are only for Linux
-
BenR
- Posts: 92
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:52
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Sorry, that shader is so old that I am not surprised that is not working.
Ben
Ben
-
Falam
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
BenR wrote:Sorry, that shader is so old that I am not surprised that is not working.
Ben
-
grahamef
- Posts: 281
- Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01
Re: Normal / Bump Replacement
Someone -- I'm pretty sure it was Daniel Rind -- had a simpler (i.e. non-steep) parallax map shader that was a compound of standard nodes. I believe it was on xsibase but there may still be a copy of it floating around somewhere. In fact I might even have it somewhere among my files.Falam wrote:BenR wrote:Sorry, that shader is so old that I am not surprised that is not working.
Ben
EDIT: Found it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by grahamef on 25 Feb 2013, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.