All I get is this:

Asking kindly for a push in the right direction

Hello,mihaiNL wrote:I rendered it, and I think that compound is supposed to go into an empty polygon mesh and it sets the topology right?
It seems I have to generate strands twice? So I tried just not using the Deform Strand Extrusion, and using the Create Extrusion along strands directly. Reading the docs, it says about Deform strand extrusion:One pointcloud is to generate strands
One pointcloud is to read form the previous pointcloud the number of points and add points on those positions and set the strands positions.
So then I disconnected Deform, unmuted Extrusion - result, no extrusion anymore. I saw that in the Create extrusion tree (in the mesh modelling stack), it's connected to the strand_topology point cloud, not the one that generates the tree. So I tried instead connecting that one, and now it works....Deforms the geometry created by Create Extrusion Along Strands, when that compound's Mute Deformation option is on

As far as I remember, Knit Strand compound puts point position on top of first strand segment, which wasn't problem for original purpose (option 1 and 2 in my previous post), but might be for something else. In thread on this forum, about built-in strand extrusion compound, I think author mentioned special option for removing the point position from calculation. So if there is something like 'remove point position', you can try this.mihaiNL wrote: How could I fix this? Something to do with how the strand position array is built I guess but....![]()
Yes, it has "Remove strand position" which the docs say:I think author mentioned special option for removing the point position from calculation. So if there is something like 'remove point position', you can try this.
I've tried changing this index but nothing seems to happen.Ignores the specified elements in the StrandPosition array. This is useful when using strand compounds that set StrandPosition[0] to the particles' PointPosition.
So perhaps this is the reason, it says in the docs:It creates strand array of variable size per point
I will get back to this when I know more about basic strand creation, without the provided compounds...All strands must have the same number of segments, that is, the size of the StrandPosition array must be the same for all particles. Among other things, this means that this compound is not compatible with strands created by Generate Strand Trails.
there is a way, to create some UV projection, using standard SI tools, then to modify it by ICE, following vertex IDs, as Melena nicely creates ordered vertices. Ordered = IDs are corresponding to "rows and columns" of mesh, like numbers of rooms in hotel. By what's called "modulo trick".mihaiNL wrote:Yes, the Melena extrusion operator works great, just I wanted to begin to understand the whole thing better. Also with the built in extrusion compound you can get UVs, as far as I can see it's not possible with the Melena operator?