Softimage tutorial Tips and Tricks: Here I explain how to select in Softimage just as you do in other Softwares such as Maya and cool ways to work with symmetry and bending objects. Hope you like it!
Moderator edit: either use the URL tags or embed the video using our VIM tags, like I did here - HB
Softimage Tips and Tricks
-
SpookyMunky
- Posts: 102
- Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 00:30
Re: Softimage Tips and Tricks
Always interesting to see how other people do things
, thanks!. I am curious why you move the meshes off to the side though, since I find it so much easier to keep the control mesh ontop, but either with its visibility set to wireframe or give it a constant material with 100% transparency, that way you only see the control's wireframe when selected but is otherwise hidden.
Also not really feeling the love for that use of symmetry.. seems more work than needed to me . Try doing what you would normally do, delete whatever part of a cylinder / whatever you don't want, then clone and rotate by emm say you kept 10 segments out of 80.. 360/80*10 or something
.. duplicate the clone and hopefully it should rotate the same amount again. Repeat till you have a circle including the original control mesh and do a merge op merge, hide inputs and unhide the control mesh. Hope that makes sense
. You can come up with very cool creations using multiple control meshes with their clones and just the one merge op, not sure if its possible with the symmetry trick.. I have a simple example here where I needed 6 alloy spokes and 5 nut holes hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzyyB-T_Bk
sorry for suckiness of the vid
.. have actually made some simple tools to make xsi symmetry a bit nicer (just automate the way I work), trying to record my voice while doing a demo vid tho.. uggh.. on take 50 now
maybe next year my simple scripts will be released 
Also not really feeling the love for that use of symmetry.. seems more work than needed to me . Try doing what you would normally do, delete whatever part of a cylinder / whatever you don't want, then clone and rotate by emm say you kept 10 segments out of 80.. 360/80*10 or something
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJzyyB-T_Bk
sorry for suckiness of the vid
-
Soth3dlife
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 19 Apr 2010, 08:38
Re: Softimage Tips and Tricks
Hi SpookyMunky!
I really appreciate your feedback. It was really interesting all the videos you made about Symmetry! Tanking methology I made another tutorial I hope you like more. By the way SpookyMunky, I was wondering if I could upload your tutorials to my website and blog to spread them out. They are really interesting and I think it would be a very good idea to share it and let everybody know how Softimage works and good it is.
here you have the new tutorial:
http://www.fran3dartist.com/tutorials.html
I really appreciate your feedback. It was really interesting all the videos you made about Symmetry! Tanking methology I made another tutorial I hope you like more. By the way SpookyMunky, I was wondering if I could upload your tutorials to my website and blog to spread them out. They are really interesting and I think it would be a very good idea to share it and let everybody know how Softimage works and good it is.
here you have the new tutorial:
http://www.fran3dartist.com/tutorials.html