Feather interpenetration

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Feather interpenetration

Post by Pancho » 21 Feb 2013, 22:44

I'm just about to start to set up feathers for a bird. I just wonder if there are any principles to avoid this effect, that feathers penetrate each other while moving or in the rest position. while feathers need to stay pretty flat in their groomed state (close to the body), wind or turbulences can change their orientation/position quite dramatically. While a colission seems to be overkill with thousands of feather, how does one deal with this problem? Both with the flight feathers as with the cover feathers.


Cheers
Pancho

User avatar
dwigfor
Posts: 395
Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46

Re: Feather interpenetration

Post by dwigfor » 22 Feb 2013, 00:46

Especially if this is for a paid gig, I'd look into MB Feather Tools - http://feathertools.michael-buettner.com/ - €200 per license

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Feather interpenetration

Post by Pancho » 22 Feb 2013, 06:47

Thanks, I already own this add on for quite some time. But all the compounds are private afaicr. I really would like to know how to do this and avoid feathers intersecting. There needs to be a logical appoarch