This shader renders in MR and the high quality viewport alike, as GB suggests (btw I'm a fan of your blog bro.)
A basic matcap shader like this is super simple, so I could probably make an RSL equivalent but I'd be surprised if there isn't one out there already. The main goal for this was to have something simple to use with the high quality viewport... What's nice about matcaps is that all of the lighting etc is effectively baked into the texture, meaning matcap images should look basically the same across zbrush, Softimage, Renderman whatever.
I didn't know Helge made a similar shader, thats cool, if you can find a link I'd love to look at it! The more solutions we have in this area, the better, matcaps can be a very powerful tool, as the Zbrush community shows. I'd be thrilled if someone better at shader dev than me would come along and blow my little shader out of the water, I just got tired of matcaps for Softimage not being convenient.
I may improve the shader with some of the goodies Zbrush includes in their matcap implementation, but im a particle guy not a shader dev and metaSL hardly has any documentation so the going will be slow.
Cheers - AM