growing a wireframe

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

growing a wireframe

Post by mattmos » 06 Feb 2013, 13:41

Hi all,

I can create a wireframe via strands, and grow strands over a mesh surface, but I can't seem to figure out how to grow a wireframe. I've been experimenting with the emTools tagging points but how can I set up strands to draw to the tagged points as they are activated (and along edges only)?

Appreciate any pointers or nudges in the right direction :)

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Tekano » 06 Feb 2013, 15:47

sorry Matt I dont get what you mean by wireframe - its a curve a strand or a gemetry or a...?
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by mattmos » 06 Feb 2013, 16:24

Hi Rob, sorry I'll try to be a bit clearer. I'd like to run particles along the edges of a mesh creating strand trails behind which build what looks like a wireframe of a mesh. So a bit like abStrandwire but growing from one side of the object to the other if you see what I mean.

Eric has some tools to make particles run parallel to edges but not stick strictly to the edges.

User avatar
Tekano
Posts: 488
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
Location: London, UK

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Tekano » 06 Feb 2013, 17:32

oh I see, so in this case - wireframe = strand . not sure if this will help but here is a quick adapted 'make wireframe' compound from back in the day. think it was called atomic or something by Helge Mathee. create a pointcloud and just plug your geometry in. think it actually makes a particle per edge and stretches it along the edges but might give some pointers on how to do it with strands.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Helli » 06 Feb 2013, 18:21

Creating a strand for every edge is easy.
Letting those strands grow over the geometry from one point is a whole different thing.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Bullit » 06 Feb 2013, 19:19

Last edited by Bullit on 06 Feb 2013, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Mathaeus » 06 Feb 2013, 19:25

mattmos wrote:I'd like to run particles along the edges of a mesh creating strand trails behind which build what looks like a wireframe of a mesh. So a bit like abStrandwire but growing from one side of the object to the other if you see what I mean.
Just a few simple tricks:
- if everything is generated at once, using un-simulated ICE tree ( like AB strandWire). Instead of growing, you can just 'un-delete'. At the end of ICE tree ( to prevent something unwanted during generation process), just delete points by some criteria. Animated or simulated weightmap, closest distance to some surface, UV position (let's say, if "V" of UV at emit location is smaller than Y position of some animated null, point is deleted), whatever.
- as Helli said, this is easy to do with points, but not so easy with strands. Strand array can't have "empty" spaces - so it would be good idea to generate something like Ab strand wire, but using cloned points instead of strand segments.
Ab Strand Wire or Helge's "atomic" compound, they creating clones, according to number of neighboring edges, for each point. Next step are clones/ strands, extending to half of edge. So, one "unit" looks like small star.

Matic
Posts: 70
Joined: 18 Jun 2009, 17:58

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by Matic » 06 Feb 2013, 19:32

Time is tight, so i cant work up an example today, but...

Strands are all associated with a particle. So, one aspect of your challenge is to create a progressive growth of particles at vertices... This has been widely done in a number of ways, there should be a couple of examples on my blog and elsewhere. Then, when a particle is formed at a vertex, you need to "grow" your strand down the edges to neighboring vertices. Again, this is well covered elsewhere, for instance check out polynoid guru Fabian Pross's blog "Monophyl."

Also some digging on my blog should reveal compounds which create linear strands to a pointPosition, or which build position arrays which can be used for same... You can make such a strand "grow" by either culling "n" points off the end of a strand and animating the number culled or by simply making your "target" endpoint the result of a linear interpolation between self pointPosition and neighboring vertex pointPosition, and animating the blend. You can alternatively simply multiply the vector by a scalar to increase/decrease its length which is how I created sketch-like "construction lines" in the video below.

This is a broad description I know, but this kind of approach works. Here is a viewport capture of some lookdev that took about 4 hours start to finish to make and which could have been (but wasnt) greatly extended from there... http://www.vimeo.com/30688549 ...in this case the mesh was reasonably dense, so I also animated individual strand opacities via underlying weight maps (instead of creating particles over time, creating them all at once and then revealing them over time. If you are using Eric's "tagging," perhaps use the tags to determine opacity?)

Sorry for the rushed explanation, time is short, but give it a whirl I've done it in the past and it wasn't hard at all. Cheers

(Also cloud-guru tekano :D did some very nice lookdev on a job we briefly shared where he used some of Eric's tools to make strand trails grow along edges, for a less mechanical, more organic look which was pretty cool, check his Vimeo posts he may have an example up?)

User avatar
mattmos
Posts: 445
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59

Re: growing a wireframe

Post by mattmos » 14 Feb 2013, 11:31

Hi guys,
thanks for the ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate having a bit of your brain time! The direction for the pitch has gone from a 2 second effect to a 10 frame effect, so it is much more suited to the non-simulated un-deleting particles option for now, though I'd like to try to figure out how to get the original effect and will keep working on those suggestions as I'm sure it will come up again sometime.
Cheers :)