Khumba Plants

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Khumba Plants

Post by Bullit » 04 Feb 2013, 07:52

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Khumba-P ... on/6028177


From here seems the author will put it more legible:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=107426

Moderator edit: you probably mean this link,
as the one you mention gets you to the guy's profile page (and as such requires login) - HB

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by Rork » 04 Feb 2013, 08:22

Is there a more readable version available? There's nothing on the Triggerfish website on this...

Looks very interesting, would love to read more.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by Bullit » 04 Feb 2013, 11:34

As far as i know no. But he is in cgsociety.

User avatar
Zybrand
Posts: 42
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 07:04
Skype: Zybrand

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by Zybrand » 08 Feb 2013, 13:22

Tom who built the system is on Si-community as well but I don't think he has seen the post yet. Will forward him the link :)

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by Helli » 08 Feb 2013, 15:13

Rork wrote:Is there a more readable version available? There's nothing on the Triggerfish website on this...

Looks very interesting, would love to read more.

rob

Actually as far as I guess those are some strands growing with instancing for leafs and other geometry which is then used again to create bigger plants which are then scattered.

WolfSpinach
Posts: 9
Joined: 08 Feb 2013, 13:44
Location: Cape Town

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by WolfSpinach » 10 Feb 2013, 11:46

Hello guys, thanks for the interest, I'm Arcticwolf on CGTalk, but WolfSpinach is my more recently adopted handle.

This project represented my first use of ICE to any significant degree, so some of the methods weren't ideal, but live and learn. The basic method is quite simple - create an emission surface like a disc and emit however many points on that (I called this "Distribution", because I'm unoriginal and never expected anybody to pick through my nodes). Create a separate pointcloud at those points and offset vertically (I called this pointcloud "Tips"). In its most basic form, this set up relies on these two identical pointclouds, where the point ID's are identical. Then create a third pointcloud that would contain the instances (I called this "Roots", although logically this is actually branches - I just meant the instances spawn at the base). Instance sizes were controlled by distance of the Tip point to Distribution, orientation was controlled by orientation between the two. I put in some Randomize values to rough them up a bit and prevent too much uniformity. The instances were picked from a group, to add a bit of variation. I added another Instance group and a control to swap between the two based on distance of a controller to the Roots pointcloud. This basically meant moving the controller up and down would change the ratio between the two different instance groups. In practice, it would generally be something like an instance group of flowers nearer the middle and leaves around the outside, moving the controller up and down changing how they the balance of more leaves or more flowers would change the shape of the plant. I found it interesting how simple changes like that would allow for quite dramatic variety in the plants generated.

For use in the film, this was then reduced down to the Roots pointcloud; Roots frozen, the other two deleted, and then a model created contain the necessary pointclouds, instances, etc. The reason that I chose to use this method of instance and pointloud was that I felt it gave a good balance of artist control and procedural-type efficiency. I had a look at some very, very good setups, for instance Fabricio Chamon's Strandtree but for our purposes I felt comfortable with our solution. I must also thank Sandy (Sutherland) our Technical Supervisor for all his input - like I said, I hadn't used ICE before so his input was vital.

The distribution stuff is a bit boring, I pretty much took an Emit from Geometry and stripped out things that weren't in use and added one or two things that were always in use (like Size Min and Max through randomization). Then, throw it at Arnold and watch the magic happen - 10's of thousands of plants rendering. To clarify something, there were roughly 1500 shots in the film and I did the basic set up of the plants and the distribution but other artists did the pretty work. And sent it to me if it broke :) There were some very talented people so if anybody is looking, I can give strong recommendations.

I hope that answers most of the questions that you guys have, if you have any others I'm around. I'm sorry that the stuff on Behance is so low-res, they have pretty strict resolution limits. I'll upload a more Behance friendly version in due course. I'll also see about some videos and maybe the nodes themselves, but obviously they're not mine to give away so its Triggerfish's prerogative.
Tom Kleinenberg - Previz/Layout Artist/Generalist. Any views expressed are my own.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: Khumba Plants

Post by Bullit » 10 Feb 2013, 23:28

Thanks for feedback WolfSpinach - nice nick :)