What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
cnever
Posts: 60
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02

What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by cnever » 23 Jan 2013, 15:03

Yes, I know I am in a softimage community posting this question b-(

But I am really just looking for an objective (if possible) answer, I am a 3D generalist and can't say I know xsi to the core but it is the software I think I know/knew the best. I currently can find my feet and jump in 3ds Max and also starting to experience the same with Maya. I worked in Cinema4D for quite a while and still use it occasionally (due to after effects integration) but also previous job it was the software prerequisite.

So as you can see quite a range of software on the list. I will probably only have time to really dig into two packages as I am studying part-time (this is for a graduation piece) and would love to commit and execute a good few seconds. But what software to use?

Few things that is extremely important to consider:
  • • Rigging needs to be strong but also easy to get your feet in (xsi I am quite comfortable but haven't rigged something for quite a while)
    • Rendering is REALLY important, yes animation/effects are also but it needs to have a fine tuned quality to it - a lot of comping will be involved to achieve this but to get the renders closer to the final look without any comping always helps.

    I think vray is a good option to get good quality but not sure (for animation)? I know all autodesk packages are on vray now. But 3ds max is the only one I really pretty well.

    Another last thing to consider is the support to many things, Maya and Max is quite vast when it comes to online tutorials or education compared to good old softimage.
So please any feedback would be great or debate, but try and keep it objective if you can :)

Thanks

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jan 2013, 15:20

You state, you know Softimage best, the easy answer is: stick with what you know (best)! And yes, I would have said the same, if you had said you know some other software best (i.e. "stick to the other software"). For longer projects this seems to be the best approach, as you want to get some work done, not suffer each and every step of a new learning path.

PS - Education wise the situation with Softimage isn’t as dire as everybody tends to think
(see for instance our Tutorials subforum for many "pre-ICE" tutorials).
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

cnever
Posts: 60
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by cnever » 31 Jan 2013, 06:10

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate your opinion. The only thing that keeps me from softimage is that studio preference for software is Maya and for smaller motion places Cinema 4D. But one main thing is the rendering - I know cmivfx has some great tutorials and they make SI look like a beast in mental ray. But question still stands. Best render look with least time and also am I training towards software that might not be seen as a skill in the future? Don't get me wrong I love SI in multiple areas but I also don't want to get stuck due to knowing the package that is not wanted by most studios.

It is a tough one I suppose :-?

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Bullit » 31 Jan 2013, 10:47

They don't accept export files? currently the market situation has such fluidity that everyone has to accepts files from everyone else.

cnever
Posts: 60
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by cnever » 31 Jan 2013, 10:55

Bullit wrote:They don't accept export files? currently the market situation has such fluidity that everyone has to accepts files from everyone else.
So what you are saying is that it does not matter what package everything works together? Not sure if I am following you but this according to me is definitely not the case, not in my experience. To have all the packages in the first place would cost studios a lot of money just to be there for in case someone supplies a file in that format. Studios usually choose a package (smaller ones) and that's the skill they looking for. Not sure about the big ones (pixar, dreamworks, blue sky) but I think they all use maya as primary?

Or perhaps I miss understood you completely.

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Helli » 31 Jan 2013, 15:16

So what do you want to use it for ?
A private short film done by yourself ? Then stick to what you know best.

For everything else (serious business) I would recommend maya.
Why ?

Cause everyone is using it. You will have more opportunities when looking for a job. If you got a company you will find more artists trained with maya.
Those are the main 2 reasons.

Softimage is more or less dieing. No new artits are getting trained on softimage, only on maya. No new artists = no new companies being able to use Softimage cause of lack of talent which leads to no jobs for Softimage artists and so on... Sad but true.

luceric
Posts: 1252
Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by luceric » 31 Jan 2013, 17:22

as a lone guy working on his short as a hobby, which is my guess of what you're suggesting, I think you have better chance of getting work done in 3dsmax. It's made for that, and you can get up and running with CAT or character studio quickly, plus all the modeling and rendering tools that just work out of the box. Maya is just.. too DIY. there is nothing that really works out of the box, it's more of a framework for other things.

Using Softimage depends on whether you already know it or not, and how much you're willing to work with an aging toolset. in any case, the big mistake would be to focus on playing software instead of first planning out the short and break it down to a chunks you can progress on, and avoid procrastinating moving sliders in the software trying to tweak things that aren't important.

Helli
Posts: 211
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 09:21

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Helli » 31 Jan 2013, 17:35

I guess Luc is right.
As long as you got no vfx shots were you would need smoke, fire or fluids you will be fine with softimage (a.e. there is the gear rigging plugin which makes it quite easy to set up your rigs) otherwise max is for sure the better all in one package were you can do almost everything with 1 or 2 plugins.

BUT you have to be aware, compared to Softimage Max is no joy to use ;) The workflow and usability of Softimage is just too unique.

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Kerro Perro » 31 Jan 2013, 18:11

Well im in sort of the same boat - except im not really interested in a studio position - and have recently decided just what Luc suggested: im switching to 3ds max. Wich was not an easy desicion for me after loving Si and investing considerable time and money in it. But it's just to TD for me, i sort of kidded myself i would get into ICE "someday" but frankly i just want sit down with my software and be an artist, not have to solve 15 puzzles to get something as simple as a good bend deformer to work right.

Love the modelling in max, it's far more "forgiving" if you want to say knock some scenery together that doesnt have to super perfect and as im obsessed with npr style rendering it has a lot of options there. And ive only done a simple lynda tut but so far i find CAT way easier to get into. Again the same thing aplies: if youre a tech artist and you want some super advanced special rig then softimage is your playground but if like me you just want to make a simple character walk and wave to the camera with little fuss than max is for you.

So anyhoo its what i think is best for me and for you it will probably be different - the only point im making is that i know softimage best and find some things about it great but to really get up and running with a short animation it was not working for me...

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Bullit » 31 Jan 2013, 18:20

Soon disappointed people...With Max you need plugins.

And about no one learning Softimage:



User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Kerro Perro » 31 Jan 2013, 19:18

If there's a point to posting that vid it's lost on me...

But just to repeat something i posted earlier: i dont think the Softimage has no future, i just think it's future is more on the TD/Houdini like. Or better put: that's the direction AD is taking it in. So for a lot of people on here i think it's a very good tool. I just dont think it's the best for a one man short, that's all.

Bullit
Moderator
Posts: 2621
Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Bullit » 31 Jan 2013, 19:58

Well helli said this:
No new artits are getting trained on softimage, only on maya.
The video was done by students of Softimage in Centre NAD.

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by Kerro Perro » 31 Jan 2013, 20:22

Oooooh ;) i thought it was real, so they did a good job!

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by angus_davidson » 31 Jan 2013, 20:29

We train our students exclusively on Softimage ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

angus_davidson
Posts: 583
Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
Skype: ithacapellin

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by angus_davidson » 31 Jan 2013, 20:59

Kerro Perro wrote: So anyhoo its what i think is best for me and for you it will probably be different - ..
That really is the crux of the matter. At the end of the day you have to break down what you are trying to achieve with your short. Once you have that firmly in mind you figure out the how you do that using the tools you have some experience in. Also dont limit your self to just one tool. Some do things way better then others. Use what you will get the best results with in a sane amount of time. And then comp it all together ;)

Personally I like to start stuff in Silo just because it so light and fast and then bring it into Soft to refine. Our students either use the default rigs or Gear and you can get some pretty decent control fairly easily.

While I might be envious of Max's massive material Library and really excellent RT viewport. I fervently believe that Max peeked at 3dsr4. I suppose every person in this industry has certain prejudices software wise ;)

That being said I still have to decide what my project this year is gonna be. I am thinking something my two young boys (3 and 5) will enjoy see being made (which currently limits it to pokemon or bakugun! eeep!
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

cnever
Posts: 60
Joined: 02 Jun 2011, 09:02

Re: What Software to use for animation short (or intro to)

Post by cnever » 31 Jan 2013, 21:25

Wow, thanks guys really like the honest open feedback. I kinda thought after a few days shit nobody is going to reply or don't give a dam.

@Bullit, that was super funny and was that really done in 3d, is there perphaps a breakdown of that shot, cause that was done pretty well. I thought you meant the baby crying is the way you feel cause people are saying things about SI.

To answer most of you, it most probably is going to be a one mans show. I love technical stuff, but I have a lot on my plate so not sure I should go this route. But the one story I have in mind, is one character that is going to have extensive animation and facial shapes to it. My focus is simplish story with one character, really well lit and textured and super smooth and crazy animations. Might change in a week or two. And who knows I am sure your bunch of clever people could help as the process goes forward.

What my goal was with this "research". Was to choose my package and go balls to the walls, probably for 5/10 years. Due to me knowing 4 packages (not all the same strengths) I find myself in a hard place. Cinema is really great for rendering and comping fluidity - that said not sure AE will really be needed as much as nuke. Maya I have only seen great rigs not sure this is the case. Also does not render to bad. SI is brilliant at rigging but also skin deformers for eyes and stuff in ice, but the rendering seems slow and not so good. But that said going through some training and seems that MR actually if tweaked right can make shit look great. 3ds Max to be honest for me seems extremely linear and for some reason very architectural or still experts? But maybe thats just me. Don't get me wrong I like max and know max and SI way better than the other I think. **almost forgot arnold seems really strong point for SI (contradicting I know)

I feel like I am just going deeper into the ocean of not knowing. Back to the point - will I waste my time furthering my training in SI, will I be able to quickly conform to another package when grasping certain things in SI. Or should I rather bite the bullet and get cracking on new tools. Also according to me the Mill and Blur all use SI quite extensively if I am not wrong, think Blur actually the main force behind face robot?

Thanks again for the great feedback, also glad to see there is no mine is bigger than yours type attitude. And please keep it coming will also as time goes by give you more on what is planned. :D