Randomness to Shader Tree ?
-
Falam
Randomness to Shader Tree ?
I have a series of objects with a procedural texture applied, they all look uniformly on the object. Is there any way to apply randomness to the shader tree on each object, even though all the objects share the same material ??
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Yes, custom attributes.
-
Falam
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Creating an ICE Tree, arrghh I haven't taken the full dive into ICE, yetPancho wrote:Yes, custom attributes.
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Well, better take the dive ...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Sorry, Pancho, this isn't remotely helpful...Pancho wrote:Well, better take the dive ...
Maybe you could indicate how such an ICE Tree would have to look.
Not everyone has the same level of proficiency where ICE is concerned...
@Falam - Could you explain a little better what kind of randomness you want to achieve (a separate texture per object/just one specific value varied within the procedural texture per object, are you using the on-board procedurals, the Enhance textures or something else completely)?
Maybe add a picture (for those of us verbally impaired
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
This (attached) could be of help if you need a random value per object
(from Automatic ObjectID Shader)
(from Automatic ObjectID Shader)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Pancho
- Posts: 659
- Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Google > softimage ice custom attributes.
I can't explain here what custom attributes are (no time). There's already some decent stuff out there. So pointing in the right direction should be a start.
I can't explain here what custom attributes are (no time). There's already some decent stuff out there. So pointing in the right direction should be a start.
-
Falam
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Maybe I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.rray wrote:This (attached) could be of help if you need a random value per object
(from Automatic ObjectID Shader)
How can applying a different color to different objects add randomness to the procedurals within the shader tree ? The way I see it, I'd have to do this outside of Softimage in a compositor, not the route I want to go !
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
I think rray's approach works from the idea that you'd primarily want to split the decisions between objects.
For some "true" randomness, but only once, try the following: Create an ICE Tree on your object and import either the RandomInteger or RandomScalar from the zip file below. Connect the chosen compound to the ICE Tree. Now set the specific parameters of the Random Value node, after opening the PPG of the ICE Compound (I've exposed all parameters there). In your RenderTree the value can now be read by using an Attribute_Integer or an Attribute_Scalar node, set to use either myRandomInteger or myRandomScalar.
If you create a Simulated ICE Tree and turn "Time Varying" on, you should get a different value for each frame. The numbers aren't truly random, they follow the seed parameter.
This is just an attempt at getting something across, that I don't have the time to thoroughly explain, so don't expect it to work. It's very untested, but it's meant as something you could study as an incentive to learn some more ICE.
For some "true" randomness, but only once, try the following: Create an ICE Tree on your object and import either the RandomInteger or RandomScalar from the zip file below. Connect the chosen compound to the ICE Tree. Now set the specific parameters of the Random Value node, after opening the PPG of the ICE Compound (I've exposed all parameters there). In your RenderTree the value can now be read by using an Attribute_Integer or an Attribute_Scalar node, set to use either myRandomInteger or myRandomScalar.
If you create a Simulated ICE Tree and turn "Time Varying" on, you should get a different value for each frame. The numbers aren't truly random, they follow the seed parameter.
This is just an attempt at getting something across, that I don't have the time to thoroughly explain, so don't expect it to work. It's very untested, but it's meant as something you could study as an incentive to learn some more ICE.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Falam
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
I understand betterHirazi Blue wrote:I think rray's approach works from the idea that you'd primarily want to split the decisions between objects.
For some "true" randomness, but only once, try the following: Create an ICE Tree on your object and import either the RandomInteger or RandomScalar from the zip file below. Connect the chosen compound to the ICE Tree. Now set the specific parameters of the Random Value node, after opening the PPG of the ICE Compound (I've exposed all parameters there). In your RenderTree the value can now be read by using an Attribute_Integer or an Attribute_Scalar node, set to use either myRandomInteger or myRandomScalar.
If you create a Simulated ICE Tree and turn "Time Varying" on, you should get a different value for each frame. The numbers aren't truly random, they follow the seed parameter.
This is just an attempt at getting something across, that I don't have the time to thoroughly explain, so don't expect it to work. It's very untested, but it's meant as something you could study as an incentive to learn some more ICE.
When I move the timeline slider and I view the procedural I don't notice a change in the procedural pattern when I have the scalar_attribute hooked up to one of the scalar attributes of a fractal procedural node, it remains the same ?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Hmm, it seems to work in my simple test scene (but that is not the issue here, obviously ;) ).
Please check the following: did you create the ICE Tree as a Simulated ICE Tree (i.e. where does your ICE Tree live in the stack, it should be in Simulation not in Modeling) and did you check "Time Varying"?
Please check the following: did you create the ICE Tree as a Simulated ICE Tree (i.e. where does your ICE Tree live in the stack, it should be in Simulation not in Modeling) and did you check "Time Varying"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Falam
Re: Randomness to Shader Tree ?
Everything was correct, that I didHirazi Blue wrote:Hmm, it seems to work in my simple test scene (but that is not the issue here, obviously ;) ).
Please check the following: did you create the ICE Tree as a Simulated ICE Tree (i.e. where does your ICE Tree live in the stack, it should be in Simulation not in Modeling) and did you check "Time Varying"?
Blair did a very similar post on this subject, expect the script seems to do all the work, should I smile or frown ?
http://xsisupport.com/2013/01/28/using-an-ice-attribute-to-drive-a-procedural-texture/