how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
Hello...
I was wondering if there is a way to import a CAD file that is an IGS format into Softimage? If not directly into Soft, is there a way to convert it to an OBJ or some other work around?
thank for the help...
I was wondering if there is a way to import a CAD file that is an IGS format into Softimage? If not directly into Soft, is there a way to convert it to an OBJ or some other work around?
thank for the help...
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
There is no direct import to SI.
The best way I found so far is MoI: http://moi3d.com/
It loads IGES files well and has a REALLY nice meshing system. You can then export them as .obj and import to SI.
I've used it a lot and it works well. As a bonus, it's a fantastic little solid modeler.
Hope that helps.
The best way I found so far is MoI: http://moi3d.com/
It loads IGES files well and has a REALLY nice meshing system. You can then export them as .obj and import to SI.
I've used it a lot and it works well. As a bonus, it's a fantastic little solid modeler.
Hope that helps.
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
Isn't that just another file extension for the IGES format which XSI has?
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
thats interesting lueric... where would one find this option?
thank you both for the advice.
thank you both for the advice.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
nope forget it... got it right here.
thanks guys!!!!
thanks guys!!!!
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
so now that i imported it as mentioned, it just comes in as an empty "3D model".
what does that mean?
what does that mean?
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
the IGES in XSI only supports NURBS, is that what the file is
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
I assumed you wanted to import solid models (most CAD models are) which is where you would need MoI (or something like it).
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
its an IGS file that I can view as a solid in the IGS Veiwer, but i cant tell if they are a nurbs surface or what have you.
But yes, i do need them as a solid. Do you guys know if Moi will def convert an IGS to an obj?
But yes, i do need them as a solid. Do you guys know if Moi will def convert an IGS to an obj?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
Yes, like I said, I use it all the time. I think there is a trial version you can test with (there used to be anyway).
Edit: yes there is a 30 day trial under the download section so you can test it.
On the forums, Michael is very helpful and support is awesome.
Edit: yes there is a 30 day trial under the download section so you can test it.
On the forums, Michael is very helpful and support is awesome.
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
Just to 2nd ActionArt points, MOI is a awesome program, I've been following and using it since v1 Beta.
It has one of the best meshers [converting nurbs to polygons] I know of. He even wrote a script to go the other way [convert polygons to nurbs, where each polygon becomes a separate nurbs surface].
Nice thing about it also, your current license automatically gets you access to the current beta cycle. You get to try the new features as they are being developed and make suggestions about how to improve them.
It's great.
It has one of the best meshers [converting nurbs to polygons] I know of. He even wrote a script to go the other way [convert polygons to nurbs, where each polygon becomes a separate nurbs surface].
Nice thing about it also, your current license automatically gets you access to the current beta cycle. You get to try the new features as they are being developed and make suggestions about how to improve them.
It's great.
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
He did? That sounds very cool. I haven't followed as close as I should it seems. Do you happen to have a link for that script?TwinSnakes007 wrote:He even wrote a script to go the other way [convert polygons to nurbs, where each polygon becomes a separate nurbs surface].
-
TwinSnakes007
- Posts: 316
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 14:00
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
Yeah, here it is: Obj23DM CoverterActionArt wrote:He did? That sounds very cool. I haven't followed as close as I should it seems. Do you happen to have a link for that script?
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
I wanted to say thanks for all the helpful back and forth. Really!! Thank you.
-
hardgore
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 05 Jun 2012, 02:51
Re: how to to import a CAD IGS file into softimage???
too sad softimage need something like cad loader in modo 