I have always just used lattices for cartoon shaped eyes, while reading this thread I had a new idea though. Not sure if it is a good idea or not, could be cool.. I recorded myself trying it out to save having to type in my thought process

. . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ48_eEuidY
Sorry I am so slow and boring, is late, am tired, and may have had a beer or two

.. skip forward to ~2min30 to get past the setup part.
It will take a bit of playing around to get this to work perfectly for your character and kind of depends on being able to have the hidden eyeball shrink base fit inside the characters head so that the polys don't pop to the front or go outside the face.
Its completely untested and may be totally useless inside a rig... still, I say worth a shot

, the deforming iris that you get from just using a lattice like pooby mentions has always annoyed me slightly. Up until now I have never thought on an easy way around it though.
Edit: hmm, playing around with it some more I am not sure how viable a solution it is. I will need to test it out in a character and see if I can make it work properly, could just all be a waste of time

.. if I get it right will post another vid...
For now I guess here is a quick example of what we mean by using a lattice to control eye deformation ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDesKLbpPcw
Edit2 : lol, I couldnt sleep without trying this first, getting closer ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJI0k1d2m48