Do sites/forums ever survive the malware thing?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Do sites/forums ever survive the malware thing?

Post by Kerro Perro » 04 Jan 2013, 22:48

I'm having a big flashback from xsibase when i try to update my sketchbook on ConceptArt...
Knipsel.PNG
Do sites and fora ever come back from this or is CA doomed like xsibase?? :-ss

Moderator edit: oh the irony - I just removed the URL tags, as that site is flagged as potential malicious by Google
and I want to prevent people from inadvertently clicking on it - HB


Kerro edit: replaced the link with a screenshot just to be extra safe ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kerro Perro on 05 Jan 2013, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Do sites/forums ever survive the malware thing?

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Jan 2013, 09:16

I wouldn't worry too much just yet (although I obviously haven't got a clue how long this has already been going on with ConceptArt). These kind of attacks for the most part seem to be survivable, but they are a PITA for the team.
I don't know what exactly went on with the XSIBase, but I was under the impression they were specifically targeted (i.e. were attacked multiple times in quick succession) which probably wore out the resolve of their main Admin.

But being an Admin/Mod here, my own motto is: "let sleeping dogs lie!" x_x ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Kerro Perro
Posts: 306
Joined: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01
Location: Leiden, the Netherlands

Re: Do sites/forums ever survive the malware thing?

Post by Kerro Perro » 05 Jan 2013, 15:26

Well this particular malware thing has only been going a couple of days but it isn't the first time it's been targeted. A few weeks ago they were "link-jacked" to send you to annoying scam sites when you tried to access it on mobile browsers... It's a high traffic forum so it must be a juicy target...

It really sucks though, i'm fighting the urge to get paranoid and start thinking it's all some big conspiracy to kill off all independent fora and force everyone on facebook... :ymalien: